SERVICE PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Notre Dame AmeriCorps - Philadelphia helps support various programs and schools in the greater Philadelphia area. This program, started by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, seeks to build community among our members, as well as the people with whom we work by reaching out across culture and class. We are committed to helping people help themselves. Our goal is to promote and encourage education, community empowerment, leadership development and multicultural harmony. NDA creates holistic educational programs for at-risk children and adults in economically disadvantaged communities. Members serve in different non-profits, schools, or after school programs throughout the city of Philadelphia. If you are interested in an opportunity to serve with us, please fill out the online application.
ST. EDMOND'S HOME FOR CHILDREN: St. Edmond's Home for Children provides an exceptional holistic outcome-oriented plan of care for youth and adults with intellectual and physical disabilities. They offer a broad spectrum of medical nursing and therapeutic services to assist youth and adults to successfully navigate mental, psychological, and physical challenges amidst both on and off campus activities and interactions.
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Service Description: Specific job tasks are contingent on the service member's level of comfort. These are just some of the things that the AmeriCorps Member can do to support and serve:
- Assist in development, planning, and implementation of educational, vocational, or recreational activities for youth, adults, or children residing at facility.
- Aid staff in conducting physical exercise, occupational arts and crafts, and recreational games.
- Coordinate and attend community outings with residents to ensure their safety and return.
- Converse with residents to reinforce positive behaviors and promote social interaction.
Health + Safety:
- Assist with the daily living tasks (bathing, grooming, and dressing) to promote good self-care.
- Develop strategies to ensure quality of service in a safe and stimulating environment.
- Attend to routine health care needs of residents under supervision of medical personnel.
- Observe and document residents' behavior to facilitate assessment of treatment goals.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the Philadelphia Site Director!
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Stipend, Student loan forbearance
At Notre Dame AmeriCorps Philadelphia, we:
- Have bi-weekly team meetings where we connect, support and learn about one another
- Professional development opportunities at the bi-weekly team meetings
- Outside service projects where we come together as a team to serve a local non-profit
- The NDMVA Mid-Year Conference: where all NDMV service members gather and connect with each other over service. It's a lot of fun!
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 99