The Notre Dame Mission Volunteers AmeriCorps (NDMVA) member is responsible for facilitating safe, in-person academic support for elementary students. The member will provide small group academic support and mentorship in daily classroom settings, and support for the after school Extended Learning Programs, overseen by an onsite supervisor. This person must be an effective communicator and team player with a positive attitude and an interest in leadership in order to ensure a safe and encouraging environment where children are engaged with their educational goals. Per the Notre Dame AmeriCorps Volunteer mission, the NDMVA member will have the goal of encouraging student engagement in learning by supporting students’ individual progress. The AmeriCorps member must be willing to adapt to an evolving environment as COVID-19 presents new challenges to the Watsonville community, and be able to collaborate positively with adults and youth.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Encourage school engagement among K-5 students by supporting students with small group and individual academic support
● Provide support to students who are struggling academically
● Along with staff, ensure that planned activities, hygiene and safety standards have been followed
● Supervision of students in small and large groups
● Lead by example; encourage teaching team success through modeling and coaching
● Ensure all District policies and state regulations are met
● Ensure a healthy learning environment - including maintaining appropriate hygiene and cleanliness standards and safety and security of students
● Maintain personal professional development plan to ensure continuous quality improvement
● Collaborate with Site Supervisor to address challenges and advance toward goals
● Maintain an open channel of communication with After School Program staff and select administrative staff
● Engage students during homework and enrichment activities
● Strong oral and written communication skills and basic computer skills.
● High energy, ability to work well with others (staff, children, and parents) and to foster a team environment.
● Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques, child abuse reporting, and de-escalation techniques.
● Excellent leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
● Mandated Reporter Training must be completed at beginning of Service
● Must clear full background check and must pass TB screening.
● Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Housing, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Regular training, team support, bi-weekly team meetings, housing assistance in some cities only
GED/High School Diploma
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check
21 - 99