Y.O.U. is looking for passionate individuals with a dedication to helping youth succeed! We provide youth with robust, fun and education focused programming in an effort to close the opportunity gap! Do you enjoy acting as a mentor to youth? Are you interested in facilitating groups of students in enrichment activities? Do you have a commitment to serving the needs of youth in after school programming? Join the Y.O.U.th Serve team today!
Make a Difference in the Lives of Youth: Y.O.U.th Serve Members will support youth by serving as youth workers and leaders in Y.O.U.'s afterschool programs. Y.O.U.th Serve Members will provide youth with crucial academic support and help lead workshops on social and emotional enrichment and life skills. Y.O.U.th Serve Members will also assist the Program in building relationships with families, community members and school administration.
The Y.O.U.th Serve Members will:
Direct Service (70%)
Implement and facilitate academic, cultural, artistic and recreational enrichment activities on a daily basis
Research and integrate best practices and curriculum for our programs
Deliver small group instruction and homework help in a safe and structured environment
Engage youth in meaningful service learning projects
Build positive relationships with youth that support their success and well-being in and out of school time.
Build positive relationships with school teachers, administrators and families of Y.O.U. youth
Help youth build healthy positive relationships with each other, with adults, and with their families
Assist in planning, coordinating, and hosting periodic family nights
Assist in planning and coordinating field trips for youth
Administrative Work (in support of Direct Service) (20%)
Assist with monthly program attendance input and reporting
Create monthly newsletters and calendars to send out to program families
Attend weekly site-based team meetings and occasional meetings with school administration
Complete quarterly social-emotional assessments of youth in support of OST data and evaluation efforts
Assist with daily snack prep for program
Inventory and supply shop for educational program supplies on an on-going basis
Training & Other (10%)
Attend all AmeriCorps cohort meetings and trainings as scheduled
Opportunity to carry a pager as assigned and be available to respond to crisis housing service requests in a timely manner in rotation with other staff
Develop crucial career and life skills: The Y.O.U.th Serve Member term of service offers a unique opportunity for growth for students thinking about a career in youth development, education, or non-profits. Members will develop their leadership skills, enhance their understanding of youth development, and build their non-profit management skills. At Y.O.U., we recognize the importance of professional development for our Members. Members will have access to internal training throughout the service year as well as access to funding for external training.
• Significant experience in and passion for youth services and previous employment or student internships working with youth
• A youth development orientation, as well as strong teamwork, leadership, and volunteer management skills
• An entrepreneurial mindset and an understanding of educational standards, minority student achievement, and non-profit/social service systems
• Flexibility and preparedness when facilitating out-of-school-time activities
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Y.O.U.'s mission
• Strong interpersonal communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to interact with individuals from a wide range of diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds
• Experience, training, or an interest in how to relate to youth who are navigating identity connected to sexual orientation, healthy relationships, and/or experience, training, or an interest in sexual education is preferred
• Interest and commitment in perusing a career in education or social services
• Access to a car and a valid driver's license
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
All Members will have access to $700 in professional development funds.
College Degree, GED/High School Diploma
High School Graduate
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check