Make a Difference in the Lives of Youth! Y.O.U.th Serve Members will support youth by serving as youth workers and leaders in Y.O.U.'s afterschool programs. Y.O.U.th Serve Members will provide youth with crucial academic support and help lead workshops on social and emotional enrichment and life skills. Y.O.U.th Serve Members will also assist the Program in building relationships with families, community members and school administration.
1. Make a Difference in the Lives of Youth
Y.O.U.'s vision is that all youth acquire the skills, self-confidence, and opportunity to participate fully, freely, and responsibly in the life of the community. Y.O.U.'s afterschool program provides youth with academic support and social and emotional enrichment every day at no cost to families. Y.O.U.th Serve Members will support youth by serving as youth workers and workshop leaders for Y.O.U.'s afterschool program. Y.O.U.th Serve Members will provide youth with crucial academic support and help lead workshops on social and emotional enrichment and life skills. Y.O.U.th Serve Members will also assist the Program in building relationships with parents, families, and community members.
The Y.O.U.th Serve Members will:
• Develop, implement and facilitate academic, cultural, artistic and recreational enrichment activities
• Research and integrate best practices and curriculum for our programs
• Deliver small group instruction and homework help in a safe and structured environment
• Engage youth in meaningful service learning projects
• Build positive relationships with youth that support their success and well-being in and out of school time.
• Build positive relationships with school teachers and administrators
• Help youth build healthy positive relationships with each other, with adults, and with their families
• Assist in planning, coordinating, and hosting periodic family nights
• Actively pursue connections and build relationships with families of Y.O.U. youth
• Assist in planning and coordinating field trips for youth.
• Edit and adapt curriculum in both Life Skills and Enrichment Activities for youth
• Opportunity to carry a pager as assigned and be available to respond to crisis housing service requests in a timely manner in rotation with other staff (*for members who meet the minimum qualifications to carry the pager)
2. Develop crucial career and life skills
The Y.O.U.th Serve Member term of service offers a unique opportunity for growth for students thinking about a career in youth development, education, or non-profits. Members will develop their leadership skills, enhance their understanding of youth development, and build their non-profit management skills.
Y.O.U.th Serve Members will:
• Be trained in youth development practices and strategies to support their work with youth
• Have close supervision of their work and are provided with both formal and informal feedback to help them grow
• Benefit from regular, structured professional development discussions to help them gain insight into work experience and career development opportunities
• Undertake a project as part of the AmeriCorps Y.O.U.th Serve Program
To apply, please visit https://youevanston.wufoo.com/forms/mymubxh0ig3ni4/
Community Need Addressed
Y.O.U. is a youth development agency that provides services and leadership to meet the emerging needs of young people and their families in our community.
Y.O.U. closes the opportunity gap by preparing youth for post-secondary and life success!
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Student loan forbearance, Training
All Members will have access to $700 in professional development funds.
All Members receive $100/month for travel to service site.
Skills you will gain
Training in youth development practices, receiving formal and informal feedback from supervisor to help them grow, positive relationship building with youth, positive relationship building with community stake holders, positive relationship building with co-workers.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Provide relevant expertise
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented
Accepts responsibility, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment