Herbicide: Lead a unique team of 3 dynamic individuals, partnering with the USFS. Teams on herbicide crew will travel and camp in remote locations, treating invasive species, while working in a team environment. Must be willing to learn the ins and outs of invasive plant management, herbicides, federal land management, and environmental service.
Essentials Position Functions:
• Mentor and lead a crew of 3, 17-28 years old, in day-to-day service activities on the project site and at camp.
• Give guidance, leadership opportunities, and responsibilities to the Assistant Crew Leader to facilitate their personal growth and development.
• Oversee camp operations including camp set-up, camp hygiene, Leave No Trace principles, and all other camp elements involved with safety and risk management.
• Complete 10 hours of project work a day for 4-8 days while camping in a variety of outdoor conditions, including inclement weather, for the duration of the term. (No prior experience required).
• Submit written and digital reports on projects, and expenses on a weekly basis to field staff.
• Oversee food budget, meal planning, and shopping list for group food.
• Coordinate projects and logistics on the ground with WCCC Staff, and project partners.
• Transport crew safely in WCCC’s vans or other vehicles while towing a trailer.
• Perform duties expected of any corps member including service project completion, meal preparation, cleanup/setup, and other day-to-day duties.
• Leading service projects in invasive species removal, herbicide application.
• Lead the crew during camping, cooking, recreation, environmental education, and group learning.
• Planning of recreational and educational activities, food and equipment preparation and maintenance, and program evaluation.
• Live, work, and serve closely with a diverse group of people.
• Must adhere to and enforce the rules and regulations of WCCC and AmeriCorps, which includes abstaining from the use of drugs, alcohol, and tobacco as well as other rules, regulations, and risk management protocol.
• Members must not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
• AmeriCorps members are entitled to and must take a 30-minute lunch break, this time does not count towards service goal.
GED/High School Diploma
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Experience teaching outdoor and/or environmental education curriculum preferred and other leadership experience.
• Excellent organization and communication.
• Backpacking experience for trail crew (preferred).
• Plant identification skills (preferred).
• Passion for an outdoor lifestyle.
• Hands-on physical labor experience preferred.
• Committed to making a positive difference in youth.
• Wilderness First Responder (WFR) preferred.
• Current driver’s license with an insurable good driving record.
• High School Diploma or GED required (AmeriCorps), relevant bachelor’s preferred.
• Must be between the ages of 18-28 years of age.
• Ability to commit to the entirety of your AmeriCorps term of service with WCCC.
• Ability to serve on diverse teams or with a diverse range of people.
• Ability to typically lift 30-50 lbs. repeatedly.
• Hiking up to 8 miles per day.
• Be willing and able to run a chainsaw, use hand tools and herbicide equipment with appropriate training.
• Must be able to complete arduous work in adverse weather conditions (i.e., snow, rain, excessive heat).
• Ability to camp in remote locations from 4-8 days a week.
Unallowable Team Leader Activities:
• Signing member timesheets
• Evaluating member performance
• Disciplining AmeriCorps members
• Enrolling/dismissing AmeriCorps members
• Writing and/or signing program reports
• Managing the program’s payroll and budget
No experience necessary! However, you must:
• Be a United states citizen or permanent resident.
• Be available full time between the dates specified on the Member Service Agreement
• Able to pass a pre-service National Criminal History check (State, Sex Offender, and Federal)
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
17 - 28