Each Literacy Lab tutor serves full-time for 11 months in a high-need school, implementing evidence-based literacy interventions with students who are struggling to read.
Our Pre-K tutors are embedded full-time in a single classroom for the entire school year. Tutors work closely with the classroom lead teacher and teacher’s assistant. They lead explicit whole-class, small-group, and one-on-one literacy interventions. Throughout the day, Pre-K tutors also embed essential skills into classroom rituals. These include literacy-rich transition activities such as singing rhyming songs and affirming, vocabulary-rich verbal communication.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
• A modest living stipend (varies by service region; $1,300 - $1,600/month, pre-tax)
• An education award of approximately $6,000
• Basic health coverage, covered by The Literacy Lab
• May be eligible for childcare assistance and/or SNAP benefits (based on income)
• Federal student loan forbearance
Training and Coaching:
• Intensive, week-long Literacy Lab Institute prior to starting at school site
• Rigorous coaching from school-based supervisors and literacy experts
• Year-round training and professional development
Mission-Driven Professional Network:
• Networking opportunities with past Literacy Lab Alumni
• Access to national AmeriCorps network of 1 million service-minded individuals
• Foot in the door with local schools and community service organizations
The Literacy Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations provided upon request. Required physical/sensory job functions provided upon request.
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check