The AmeriCorps 4-H Environmental Education and Outreach Specialist with Scott County Conservation in Dixon, Iowa, will develop curricula, facilitate programming, and design positive youth development opportunities that increase the access of long-term, nonformal and informal, outreach natural resource and environmental education programming to youth in the county/community they serve. This member will work in a team environment with Conservation program staff to facilitate and develop curricula/programs determined by the host site, that incorporate youth and the natural environment to develop life skills - Productive Citizens, Outstanding Communicators, Effective Leaders, and Successful Learners.
Specific projects this member will lead include:
- Train and guide volunteers on new programming and initiatives developed,
- Expand current environmental education programs to new youth audiences in the community: NGSS, STEM, native animals/habitats and their status in Iowa, focusing specifically on the development of Pioneer Village Summer Camps
- Develop and facilitate monthly educational programs focusing on each of the following areas: low-impact healthy lifestyles, STEM concepts in nature, and leadership skills that promote citizenship through natural resource education.
- Develop and facilitate youth educational components of Spring Volunteer Stewardship Day and assist members with volunteer events hosted by the conservation board,
- Foster partnerships with local schools, individuals, groups, and volunteers in the community for environmental education outreach,
- Track data for initiatives and monthly performance reports.
The member may be asked to participate in additional service activities that are not included in the member position description but are in alignment with the approved grant activities.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Professional Development Fund which allows members to determine their own professional development opportunities, Positive Youth Development training, CPR/First Aid Training (or Disaster Response Training if CPR is completed), Youth Mental Health First Aid Certification, Leadership Experience, Strong Connection to Alumni Network, Worker's Compensation, Included in Iowa State University's Employee Assistance Program that offers counseling and financial planning resources.
College Degree, GED/High School Diploma
Less than High School Completed
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
Previous experience working with youth or developing educational programming is preferred.
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
17 - 99