The AmeriCorps 4-H Environmental Education and Outreach Specialist with Des Moines County Conservation in Burlington, Iowa, will develop curricula, facilitate programming, and design positive youth development opportunities that increase the access of long-term, nonformal and informal, outreach natural resource and environmental education programming to youth in the county/community they serve. This member will work in a team environment with Conservation program staff to facilitate and develop curricula/programs determined by the host site, that incorporate youth and the natural environment to develop life skills - Productive Citizens, Outstanding Communicators, Effective Leaders, and Successful Learners.
Specific projects this member will lead include:
- Develop, plan, and teach environmental education afterschool programming to youth in grades K-8 who are enrolled in the PiECES Afterschool Program of the Burlington Community School District,
- Facilitate environmental education summer camps for youth ages 3-15,
- Partner with the Des Moines County Conservation Naturalist to plan, develop, and facilitate weekly after school club activities at Aldo Leopold Intermediate School,
- Plan, develop and facilitate public programs aimed at increased family involvement, including hikes, owl prowls, eagle watching and Outdoor Youth Jamboree,
- Facilitate field trips to Starr's Cave Nature Center for local groups in grades PreK-12.
The member may be asked to participate in additional service activities that are not included in the member position description but are in alignment with the approved grant activities.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Professional Development Fund which allows members to determine their own professional development opportunities, Positive Youth Development training, CPR/First Aid Training (or Disaster Response Training if CPR is completed), Youth Mental Health First Aid Certification, Leadership Experience, Strong Connection to Alumni Network, Worker's Compensation, Included in Iowa State University's Employee Assistance Program that offers counseling and financial planning resources.
College Degree, GED/High School Diploma
Less than High School Completed
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
Previous experience working with youth or developing educational programming is preferred.
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
17 - 99