The AmeriCorps 4-H Environmental Education and Outreach Specialist with Nahant Marsh Education Center in Davenport, Iowa, will develop curricula, facilitate programming, and design positive youth development opportunities that increase the access to long-term, nonformal and informal, outreach natural resource and environmental education programming to youth in the county/community they serve. This member will work in a team environment with Conservation program staff to facilitate and develop curricula/programs determined by the host site, that incorporate youth and the natural environment to develop life skills - Productive Citizens, Outstanding Communicators, Effective Leaders, and Successful Learners.
Specific projects this member will lead include:
- Develop and facilitate existing environmental education public/weekend programs that target youth and families in the area,
- Develop new programs and facilitate existing monthly preschool programs and on-site during outreach visits,
- Deliver educational programs for local homeschool groups that meet onsite 1-2 times per month,
- Enhance or expand youth and/or family programs in the winter season during school intersession,
- Develop hands-on STEM activities for public expos and special events like Bald Eagle Day, school winter carnival, Quad City Youth Conference, Spring Celebration, Youth Summertime Expo, Monarch Release Party, and more,
- Track data for initiatives and monthly performance reports.
The member may be asked to participate in additional service activities that are not included in the member position description but are in alignment with the approved grant activities.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Professional Development Fund which allows members to determine their own professional development opportunities, Positive Youth Development training, CPR/First Aid Training (or Disaster Response Training if CPR is completed), Youth Mental Health First Aid Certification, Leadership Experience, Strong Connection to Alumni Network, Worker's Compensation, Included in Iowa State University's Employee Assistance Program that offers counseling and financial planning resources.
College Degree, GED/High School Diploma
Less than High School Completed
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
Previous experience working with youth or developing educational programming is preferred.
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
17 - 99