Overview: The Western Colorado Conservation Corps offers opportunities for young adults to spend a season serving on meaningful conservation projects throughout Western Colorado. Projects may include a variety of trail construction/maintenance, fence construction/removal, invasive species removal, fire fuels reduction, habitat restoration and/or historic preservation work. AmeriCorps members have the opportunity to earn an AmeriCorps Education Award, in addition to a bi-weekly stipend. (Restrictions apply).
Women’s Fire Crew Specifically:
This position will be based out of our Grand Junction office. This is not a 9-5 job, rather an experience where long hours and extended time away from your home base are to be expected. Serving as a Women’s Fire Crew Member at WCCC means having passion for service to others, for wild lands and wild places, for personal growth, or for any number of WCCC’s values. Crews will camp for most of their term, oftentimes in remote locations in varied terrain and in all weather conditions. Primary service types will include habitat restoration and fuels mitigation with the potential for fire response and prescribed burning – with a heavy emphasis in chainsaw use. Performs basic fire line activities such as line construction, lopping, and scattering of fuels using hand tools and holding, patrolling, monitoring.
The position also requires preparation time and post session clean up.
Essentials Position Functions:
• Mentor and lead a crew of 7-9 youth, 18-28 years old, in day-to-day service activities on the project site and at camp along with 2 Assistant Crew Leaders (ACL) to help.
• Give guidance, leadership opportunities, and responsibilities to the Assistant Crew Leaders to facilitate their personal growth and development.
• Oversee camp operations including camp set-up, camp hygiene, Leave No Trace principles, and all other camp elements involved with safety and risk management with the assistance of 2 ACL’s.
• Complete 10 hours of project work a day for 4-8 days while camping in a variety of outdoor conditions, including inclement weather, for the duration of the term. (No prior experience required).
• Submit written and digital reports on projects, and expenses on a weekly basis to field staff.
• Oversee food budget, meal planning, and shopping list for group food.
• Coordinate projects and logistics on the ground with WCCC Staff, and project partners.
• Transport crew safely in WCCC’s vans or other vehicles while towing a trailer.
• Perform duties expected of any corps member including service project completion, meal preparation, cleanup/setup, and other day-to-day duties.
• Leading service projects such as trail building and maintenance, wildlife habitat restoration, fence building and maintenance, and invasive species removal while serving with the 2 Assistant Crew Leaders (ACL).
• Coordinate with the ACLs to lead the crews during camping, cooking, recreation, environmental education, and group learning.
• Planning of recreational and educational activities, food and equipment preparation and maintenance, and program evaluation.
• Live, work, and serve closely with a diverse group of people.
• Must adhere to and enforce the rules and regulations of WCCC and AmeriCorps, which includes abstaining from the use of drugs, alcohol, and tobacco as well as other rules, regulations, and risk management protocol.
• Members must not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement.
This position requires arduous physical activity in adverse weather conditions. Crew leaders must be physically fit and able to lift, bend, carry, push and other heavy physical labor.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
• AmeriCorps members are entitled to and must take a 30-minute lunch break, this time does not count towards service goal.
GED/High School Diploma
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Experience teaching outdoor and/or environmental education curriculum preferred and other leadership experience.
• Excellent organization and communication.
• Passion for an outdoor lifestyle.
• Hands-on physical labor experience preferred.
• Committed to making a positive difference in youth.
• Wilderness First Responder (WFR) preferred.
• Current driver’s license with an insurable good driving record.
• High School Diploma or GED required (AmeriCorps), relevant bachelor’s preferred.
• Must be between the ages of 18-28 years of age.
• Ability to pass National Standards for Wildland Firefighting, including Pack Test and relevant medical screenings.
• Willingness to serve long, hard hours in all weather conditions; ability to be away on overnight trips for up to 16 days at a time.
• Ability to commit to the entirety of your AmeriCorps term of service with WCCC.
• Ability to serve on diverse teams or with a diverse range of people.
• Ability to typically lift 30-50 lbs. repeatedly and operate a chainsaw on a regular basis.
• Ability to hike 3-12 miles per day in terrain that can be steep, rocky, or uneven, often wearing a 45 lb. backpack while carrying tools and sometimes backpacking with full packs of 60-70 lbs.
• Be willing and able to run a chainsaw, use hand tools and herbicide equipment with appropriate training.
• Must be able to complete arduous work in adverse weather conditions (i.e., snow, rain, excessive heat).
• Ability to camp in remote locations from 4-8 days a week.
Unallowable Team Leader Activities:
• Signing member timesheets
• Evaluating member performance
• Disciplining AmeriCorps members
• Enrolling/dismissing AmeriCorps members
• Writing and/or signing program reports
• Managing the program’s payroll and budget
No experience necessary! However, you must:
• Be a United states citizen or permanent resident.
• Be available full time between the dates specified on the Member Service Agreement
• Able to pass a pre-service National Criminal History check (State, Sex Offender, and Federal)
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 28