Herbicide: Serve on a unique team of 3 dynamic individuals, partnering with the USFS. The team will travel and camp in remote locations, treating invasive species, while working in a team environment. Must be willing to learn the ins and outs of invasive plant management, herbicides, federal land management, and environmental service.
These positions also requires preparation time and post session clean up.
Essentials Position Functions:
• Must be willing and able to camp at least 4-8 nights per week, often leaving for service location on Sunday afternoon.
• Complete 10 hours of project work a day for 4-8 days while camping in a variety of outdoor conditions, including inclement weather for the duration of term.
• Successfully complete AmeriCorps member Orientation and CPR/First Aid Training.
• Must be motivated, responsible, and have a positive attitude.
• Willing to cook and clean up at camp site when necessary.
• Participate in evaluation process (number and timing of evaluations depend on length of contract).
• Participate in WCCC wide volunteer events.
• Participate in rig-up and rig-down procedures.
• Live, work, and serve closely with a diverse group of people.
• Must adhere to and enforce the rules and regulations of WCCC and AmeriCorps, which includes abstaining from the use of drugs, alcohol, and tobacco as well as other rules, regulations, and risk management protocol.
• Members must not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement.
This position requires arduous physical activity in adverse weather conditions. Crew leaders must be physically fit and able to lift, bend, carry, push and other heavy physical labor.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
• AmeriCorps members are entitled to and must take a 30-minute lunch break, this time does not count towards service goal.
GED/High School Diploma
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Excellent organization and communication
• Passion for an outdoor lifestyle
• Hands-on physical labor experience preferred.
• High School Diploma or GED required (AmeriCorps)
• Must be between the ages of 17-28 years of age.
• Ability to commit to the entirety of your AmeriCorps term of service with WCCC.
• Ability to serve on diverse teams or with a diverse range of people.
• Ability to typically lift 30-50 lbs. repeatedly.
• Hiking up to 8 miles per day.
• Be willing and able to use hand tools and herbicide equipment with appropriate training.
• Must be able to complete arduous work in adverse weather conditions (i.e., snow, rain, excessive heat).
• Ability to camp in remote locations from 4-8 days a week.
No experience necessary! However, you must:
• Be a United states citizen or permanent resident.
• Be available full time between the dates specified on the Member Service Agreement
• Able to pass a pre-service National Criminal History check (State, Sex Offender, and Federal)
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
17 - 28