Literacy First is an AmeriCorps tutoring program that focuses on early literacy in elementary schools in Austin, TX. Literacy First tutors provide one-to-one tutoring to ensure all children are reading at or above grade level by third grade. We use an explicit, research-based curriculum to address critical reading skills. All training and mentorship will be provided by our supervisors and staff, who are literacy experts.
Tutors serve 30 hours each week, Monday - Friday from 7:30 AM - 1:30 PM.
• Conduct 20-30-minute tutoring sessions with K-2nd students using Literacy First curriculum
• Communicate effectively with Literacy First staff, school staff, and teammates
• Maintain organized and proper documentation of all lesson plans and student data
• Attend pre-service training and ongoing literacy trainings throughout the year
• Administer assessments to identify students that qualify for Literacy First tutoring
• Assess and record students’ progress using weekly progress monitoring probes
• Attend data meetings with campus staff to communicate student progress
Tutors will be set up for success with scripted lesson plans and ongoing weekly support.
Consider applying on our website: https://bit.ly/LiteracyFirstApp23_24
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Education award of $3,247.50 upon successful completion of service.
Expert training in literacy intervention content and delivery (no experience necessary, all training provided!)
One-on-one support from your supervisor weekly throughout the program.
Optional professional development activities such as committee participation and community events.
Access to an employee assistance program that includes free short-term counseling, financial/legal services, referrals to resources, etc.
Networking with community partners and non-profits through regular volunteering opportunities.
Professional development activities to prepare you for life after AmeriCorps.
Opportunity to return to service for a second year as a Leader (mentor), and participate in our Leadership Academy (with pay increase!).
Opportunity to return to service for a second year and participate in our alternative teacher certification partnership through Region 13.
Credential or Certification
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
Interest in literacy, education, community service, social justice, or non-profits
Desire to work with young students ages 5-8
Ability to work cohesively on a team
Proficient computer skills, including data entry and email correspondence
Bilingual applicants must be proficient in speaking in Spanish.
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check