Serve New York mobilizes AmeriCorps VISTA members to serve organizations, government agencies, and educational institutions focused on the needs of veteran and military families, improving and expanding educational opportunities, ensuring economic opportunity for all, and creating healthy futures to the residents of NY. The goal of Serve New York is to strengthen communities across the State, and to allow organizations within them to better provide services to impoverished individuals and families. The Serve New York program has partner organizations in Buffalo, Rochester, Lyons, Ithaca, Geneva, and White Plains. While serving, members receive support from the VISTA team at The Service Collaborative of WNY, Inc. The support includes monthly trainings, a social network of fellow members, and daily support from VISTA leaders.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Relocation allowance (if applicable), Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Benefits members receive:
• An annual living stipend of $12,311, which is paid out in bi-weekly increments of $470.20.
• An AmeriCorps Eli Segal Education Award of $5,920 OR $1,800 cash stipend provided after the successful completion of the term of service
• Post Service federal employment incentives and opportunities
• Basic health insurance
• Ability to put qualified federal student loans on forbearance during the term of service
• Child Care assistance to those who qualify
• Monthly professional development and multiple training opportunities
Subject to criminal background check