The Maine Commission for Community Service (MCCS) builds capacity and sustainability in Maine’s volunteer sector. Our mission is to foster community service and volunteerism to meet human and environmental needs in the State of Maine. As the State of Maine partner for the Corporation for National and Community Service, the Commission has several responsibilities related to AmeriCorps and National Service. These include:
- Providing training and technical assistance to local nonprofit organizations and other entities that want to plan and apply for funding to implement national service programs
- Selecting programs to be funded under the National and Community Service Act
- Pre-selecting programs to compete for funding under the AmeriCorps State Competitive grant category
- Providing training and technical assistance to National Service programs in Maine
- Evaluating, monitoring, and administering grant programs.
Our portfolio of AmeriCorps programs focus on education, environmental stewardship and conservation, mentoring, economic opportunity, and public health.