AmeriCorps members serving with RTNO get to see first-hand how the work they’re doing positively impacts the community. The tasks Site Leaders complete improve the quality of life for all of RTNO’s homeowners, whether it’s through the addition of a wheelchair ramp to allow homeowner mobility and independence, or exterior weatherization repairs to lower utility builds and keep a home clean and healthy. They complete hands-on repairs as part of prep work or punch list for special projects. On project days, AmeriCorps Site Leaders work with volunteers from all backgrounds and skill levels to complete a variety of construction activities. Wherever possible, they teach and empower volunteers to learn new skills and safely implement them on the worksite.
• Complete direct hands-on repairs, including but not limited to: rough/trim carpentry, tile work, grab bar installation, wheel chair ramp/safe entry/egress repairs, interior/exterior painting, and weatherization.
• Assist with logistics through pulling, staging, stocking, and delivery of construction materials.
• Meet with clients to complete home assessments, develop a work scope and materials list, and collaborate with other team members to develop a project timeline (especially if coordination with volunteers or contractors is required).
• Oversee general volunteers in completing direct hands-on repairs. Ensure that volunteers are trained in their task and have access to tools/materials, that proper safety procedures are being followed, that the work product is of good quality, and that volunteers enjoyed and feel appreciated for their service.
• Where possible, encourage and support volunteers to safely try new construction tasks and build their skill sets. Educate homeowners about the repairs that were completed and any new or recommended home maintenance.
• Conduct on-site volunteer orientation, including: history of affiliate and community, site/tool/neighborhood safety, homeowner biography, and project work scope.
Community Need Addressed
Homeowners unable to afford basic and accessibility repairs on their homes
Increase in homeowners served
Increase in repairs provided
Increase in completed home repairs
Decrease in home falls
Increase in healthy, safe housing
Increase in financial stability for low income homeowners
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Mileage reimbursement when using personal vehicle for travel outside of daily commute
First Aid, CPR, Defensive Driving
Skills you will gain
construction skills, volunteer management, public speaking
Competencies You Will Develop
Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment