Our City Forest (OCF) Service team members are sponsored in part by the National Service organization, AmeriCorps. OCF Service Team Members will be part of one of the following teams: Community Planting, Nursery or Lawn Busters. All members will:
- Be trained on best practices of maintaining a green and healthy urban forest in the Silicon Valley.
- Strive to maximize volunteer participation in their individual programs, acting as trainers, coaches, & coordinators.
- Conduct outreach efforts to residents and businesses to garner investment and stewardship pertaining to our mission.
- Provide friendly, professional customer service.
- Actively seek opportunities for greening projects.
- Organize and implement projects.
Proportion of field to office work varies with program assignment. Depending on the team, some members may:
- Cultivate drought-tolerant plants and trees at our nursery.
- Plant and care for trees and shrubs in neighborhoods, schools and parks.
- Be trained in basic landscape design.
- Educate residents on best water-wise landscaping practices.
- Complete office tasks such as email correspondence, scheduling appointments, planning logistics, and detailed data entry.
participate in field work necessary for project preparation, and project day execution,
-Conduct classroom and community presentations, or
represent Our City Forest at various community outreach events.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Qualify for SNAP (Cal Fresh) and Medicare
High School Graduate
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
Strong written & oral communication skills
College degree is highly desirable
Vietnamese and Spanish speakers interested in reaching out to the communities of San José
Local, Bay Area residents are preferred but all are welcome to apply (Note: we do not provide housing)
Valid driver’s license. Proficient in driving manual transmission and towing small trailers
Current Commercial driver’s license (to drive Tree Mobile for community events)
Familiar with ornamental and native tree and shrub species identification
Knowledge or experience working with irrigation
Experience with landscape design and/or landscaping
FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe CS, Sketch Up software knowledge
Graphic design, app development, programming, or website maintenance experience
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check