The AmeriCorps Education Program Specialist will plan, supervise, and implement a variety of educational programs using existing curriculum from Boys and Girls Clubs of America (the Club). This position directly serves elementary and middle school youth to provide academic support for students who are struggling to meet academic performance standards. The member will serve students in school, after school, and throughout the summer, to increase their academic performance in math and/or literacy and directly contribute to each student’s likelihood to graduate from high school.
- During the school year, spend 8-16 hours/week providing one-on-one tutoring services to underperforming students in math and/or literacy
- Utilize planning periods to develop lesson plans for tutoring sessions with students at the Club after school
- Implement and direct activities in the education department
- Tutor children in math and/or literacy during Power Hour and Math Con
- Provide summer math and/or literacy educational programming for Club members
- Serve as liaisons for students, enhancing the communication between parents, teachers, and possibly case workers.
- Administer pre and post-tests per program due dates and specifications
- Oversee the provision of day-to-day program activities in accordance with established program curriculums
- Conduct surveys and encourage member participation in program surveys
- Demonstrate and mentor positive leadership to assure conduct, safety, and development of Club members
- Respond to member needs and address their gender and cultural diversity
- Establish a program setting that ensures the health and safety of all Club members
- Manage and organize the departmental area to ensure ongoing inventory and recommend the purchasing of necessary teaching and educational materials
- Work with Club staff to provide information, discuss issues, explain program testing guidelines and instructions, contribute to the team setting of the Club
- Participate in special programs and/or events
- May be required to drive Club van for educational field trips or educational programming
- Participate in training and enrichment activities including: site-specific training, trainings relevant to rural hunger, poverty, homelessness, and educational barriers; reading assignments, community nights, retreats, and other additional activities, trainings, or events that are applicable to the service year, weekends and commitments members will be required to attend.
- Participate in AmeriCorps swearing in ceremony
- Other allowable activities that contribute to the purpose of the position such as new programming, trainings, or client services.
Community Need Addressed
Rural Alliance for Dignity (RAD), will work on helping with academic support for the youth in the community.
Increases in the standards of academic performance and increase high school graduation rates.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Training
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment