The AmeriCorps 4-H Environmental Educator at the Central Park Nature Center in Jones County, Iowa will be responsible for identifying and delivering research-based curriculum to youth in their county and community which incorporates youth life skill development educational content in their natural environments. This member will work in a team setting to expand current youth environmental education programs to new audiences in the community or county they serve. Specific service activities include:
• Create and present programs and curricula to school groups and home school families that align to educational standards and incorporate STEM-based experiences and principles. (April – May, September – October)
• Create and present monthly environmental education programs to the public to increase environmental awareness and sustainable living consciousness.
• Create and present STEM-based curriculum during the Jones County “School of the Wild” 5th grade outdoor education week - May 2023.
• Plan, create, and present programming to local youth groups and day camp groups during the 2023 summer months.
• Develop, plan, facilitate, and present programs to develop and encourage outdoor recreation, healthy living, and early childhood literacy including hiking, biking, canoeing/kayaking, bird watching, and other opportunities in Jones County through public programs and multi-day home school outings, after school/early-out programming, and day camp opportunities.
• Plan, coordinate, and lead volunteer opportunities/programs within Jones County Conservation Board areas including the Jones County Youth Conservation Crew summer program, trail work sessions, habitat restoration, species surveys and monitoring, and invasive species removal. Integrating educational and leadership components into programming and volunteer opportunities through icebreakers, team-building activities, volunteer activities, and reflection activities.
• Contribute to the partnerships with local organizations including the Boy and Girl Scouts, 4-H Youth Groups, Heritage Girls, and local Camps. Help to develop badge and milestone specific programming when needed to meet criteria within the youth group organizations.
• Incorporate and implement a service-learning event for youth participants on Global Youth Service Day, and one other National Day of Service selected by the member.
• Maintain accurate records and track volunteer engagements through database entry and utilization.
• Participate in ongoing training and events as required and requested by AmeriCorps and/or Iowa 4-H Youth Development
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Professional Development Fund which allows members to determine their own professional development opportunities, Positive Youth Development training, CPR/First Aid Training (or Disaster Response Training if CPR is completed), Youth Mental Health First Aid Certification, Leadership Experience, Strong Connection to Alumni Network, Worker's Compensation, Included in Iowa State University's Employee Assistance Program that offers counseling and financial planning resources.
College Degree, GED/High School Diploma
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 99