The construction systems development VISTA member creates, documents and implements a plan to improve construction operations. Explore construction processes and systems currently in place to help identify best practices and areas for improvement. Develop and implement an enhanced construction operations plan that addresses preparation, planning, scheduling, home repairs, green building techniques and work site safety. Test, evaluate and revise the project plan; develop manuals and training to ensure sustainability beyond your service.
• Evaluate current construction procedures and develop and implement a plan to improve or expand the organization’s construction operations.
• Research green building techniques that would benefit the local Habitat and, in collaboration with construction staff, develop and document green and sustainable building practices for the construction department.
• Research and develop systems for improvement regarding work safety and training for onsite volunteers.
Community Need Addressed
Habitat for Humanity's vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live. We believe affordable housing plays a critical role in strong, stable communities. Since our founding in 1976, Habitat has helped more than 29 million people build or improve the place they call home.
In fiscal year 2019, Habitat helped more than 7 million people, and an additional 2.3 million gained the potential to improve their housing conditions through training and advocacy. In addition, more than 1.4 million volunteers helped build, advocate and raise awareness about the global need for shelter.
For one year, you can get paid to help build sustainable solutions in the community, gain valuable hands on experience and prepare for your future.
With Habitat AmeriCorps, you can serve in your community or in several locations through the United States. Serve on an active build site or at a local Habitat office assisting homeowner families, volunteers and staff members. Help strengthen communities through a year of service with Habitat AmeriCorps.
Improve efficiency in construction process, increasing number of families Habitat serves.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Relocation allowance (if applicable), Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
• All Habitat AmeriCorps members have the opportunity to attend Habitat AmeriCorps Build-a-Thon, our annual blitz weeklong blitz build.
• Habitat AmeriCorps members receive a variety of position-specific trainings, including CPR and First Aid and Lockton Safety Courses.
• Host sites may choose to offer additional benefits to AmeriCorps members, such as free or reduced-cost housing, grocery gift cards, transportation vouchers, payments made to rental agencies or landlords, etc.
• Onsite orientation to local host site.
• Habitat Learns – “Foundation of Habitat” online series.
• Habitat Learns – “Introduction to Ethics” and “Speak Up!” online trainings.
• Lockton safety online courses.
• Annual sponsored blitz build - Habitat AmeriCorps Build-a-Thon.
• National days of service: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (required). September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance and AmeriCorps Week (encouraged).
• Host site monitoring reviews and periodic check-in calls.
• Monthly meeting with host site manager.
• Bi-weekly meeting with direct supervisor.
• Life After AmeriCorps training.
• Staff, construction committee and board meetings and home dedications, as appropriate.
• Annual staff or AmeriCorps team build day.
• Individual and/or group professional development trainings may be made available based on budget, member interest and recommendation of the host site manager or direct supervisor.
Skills you will gain
Following a year of service, members will develop skills in leadership, such as public speaking, time management, project planning and management, and increased knowledge of service and affordable housing.
Competencies You Will Develop
Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment