This position is a partnership between Confluence Environmental Center, AmeriCorps Program, US Fish and Wildlife Service and the Oregon Zoo. This new AmeriCorps position will provide public engagement and conservation education to Oregon Zoo visitors designed to reach a broad audience and tell our shared strategic conservation story. The Member will serve with subject specialists from the US Fish and Wildlife Service to research and develop effective conservation education activities aimed at reaching a diverse audience (40%). They will serve collaboratively between the US Fish and Wildlife Service, the Oregon Zoo, conservation partners, and community partners that serve under represented communities (20%). We will look to the member to help facilitate engagement with additional non-predetermined groups that serve under represented communities (20%). The Member will participate in Confluence led leadership development activities which include: Leadership Development Program, Change Agent Project, team meetings, National Service events and other self-directed development opportunities (20%).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (to include, but not limited to):
• Provide frontline interpretative programming on Zoo grounds, in the Nature Exploration Station, with the Camps Program, or with community groups, including under-served populations.
• Research and serve with a wide range of subject specialists in the development of educational kits and activities aimed at delivering the strategic communication needs of the USFWS at the Oregon Zoo.
• Develop partnerships with regional community groups and organizations that serve under-represented populations. Provide them with conservation educational programming, mostly on Zoo grounds, with the potential for off-site visits.
• Help in coordinating and managing the distribution and use of the conservation education toolkits.
• Potentially conduct outreach at off-site community events.
• Explore and identify ways the USFWS can further build upon our collaboration with the OR Zoo, strategic conservation partners, and community groups that serve under represented populations.
• Complete and submit all necessary paperwork and reports in a timely manner; abide by program policies; attend and complete all training and service requirements.
Community Need Addressed
Advancing Environmental Justice
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
$100 Training Fund
Skills you will gain
Develop increased understanding and sensitivity around issues of equity and environmental justice.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment