A major goal is to establish and support institutional systems to get healthy, fresh produce to low-income students and their families. In a partnership with the Confluence Environmental Center, the PCC Sylvania Campus Learning Garden Coordinator will support and develop institutional networks and programs that support PCC’s diverse student populations, especially students who experience food insecurity. With a focus on healthy food production, distribution, and community impact, the Coordinator will assess and further develop and lead educational activities that utilize Sylvania Campus’s well established Learning Garden. New networks and activities will enhance long-term capacity of the garden and the larger PCC Sylvania Campus student community. Organic food production, creation of distribution systems for the fresh produce grown to students in need, and development of planting schedules, curriculum, and related community sustainability projects will strengthen our community. By growing community leaders, this AmeriCorps member will create meaningful change long after the service term ends.
The Member will participate in Confluence led professional development activities: Professional Development Series, completing a Change Agent Project, monthly team meetings, National Service events and other self-directed development opportunities (20%).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (to include, but not limited to):
• Run daily Learning Garden activities such as propagation, planting, maintenance, harvesting food, other work parties, and events.
• Lead education of growing food, healthy eating, and personal health by leading outreach activities such as tours and educational garden workshops with special emphasis on engaging populations in need and underrepresented groups.
• Design and create outreach materials and weekly newsletter item to market and publicize Learning Garden events and initiatives.
• Recruit a diverse community of student to become leaders and change agents for their families and communities in terms of food security.
• Coordinate and support ASPCC and PCC on food receiving, feedback and evaluating produce distribution to students with food insecurity.
• Work with PCC stakeholders including PCC faculty, Childcare Center, the Associated Students of PCC, Women's Resource Center, and Multicultural Center to engage and serve nontraditional and underserved student populations on campus in the Learning Garden in terms of providing and growing food healthy foods.
• Manage, coordinate, and track ongoing data related to food production, compost, volunteer hours and other projects.
• Complete and submit all necessary Confluence/AmeriCorps paperwork and reports in a timely manner.
• Abide by Confluence and AmeriCorps program policies.
• Attend and complete all Confluence/AmeriCorps training and service requirements including orientation, trainings, team meetings and national service days.
• Wear Confluence uniform and/or appropriate identifiers and required safety gear while performing service or attending official events.
Community Need Addressed
Advancing Environmental Justice
Garden/Farm Based Education
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
$100 Training Fund
Skills you will gain
Develop increased understanding and sensitivity around issues of equity and environmental justice.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment