This position is a partnership between Confluence Environmental Center, AmeriCorps Program, Columbia Slough Watershed Council (CSWC) and Nadaka Nature Park. This new AmeriCorps position will primarily focus on events and outreach that support both CSWC and Nadaka Nature Park. Expect 75% of time in the office and 25% of time in the field.
At the CSWC, the events range from large (500+ participants) festivals to smaller paddles and workshops. Our major festivals include: Aquifer Adventure (a pirate themed groundwater festival); Slough Celebration (annual gala); Explorando el Columbia Slough (bilingual nature and cultural festival); and Regatta (everyone welcome free paddling event). The Member will have a critical role in Explorando helping to translate and serve with the bilingual committee in planning the community co-created event. The Member will help facilitate event logistics, outreach and tabling and engaging volunteers. Many of our events have an on-the-water component and the Member will have the opportunity to lead short flat-water paddle trips. Workshops and smaller events include Groundwater 101, Evening Canoe the Slough, Owl Prowl, Raingardens 101, and several similar events. (40%)
At Nadaka Nature Park, the Member will help facilitate and lead a similar range of events and workshops such as the Annual Nadaka Community Festival, while building authentic relationships with the community and partner organizations. In the fall and winter, the Member will plan and lead various volunteer/intern restoration events such as tree planting or ivy clearing. The Member will collaborate with students, interns, and ambassadors on the creation and maintenance of education plots in the community garden. They will support our youth interns and the Nadaka Ambassadors; a program that will make the park more inclusive by providing multi-lingual information, improving park safety, and offering stipends to surrounding neighbors that volunteer in the park. (40%)
The Member will participate in Confluence led leadership development activities which include: Leadership Development Program, Change Agent Project, team meetings, National Service events and other self-directed development opportunities (20%).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (to include, but not limited to):
● Lead or assist with planning, promotion, and implementation of both large (500+ attendance festivals) and smaller events such as evening paddles, nature walks, and family friendly education events
● Spanish-English support and translation at meetings, events, and outreach
● Serve closely with Volunteer Coordinator on volunteer recruitment, organization, training and management, with assistance from the Outreach Director and Nadaka Park Coordinator.
● Coordinate and lead volunteers and Nadaka interns for events
● Assist with drafting social media, newsletter and website communications
● Posting and promotion of events on online platforms, publications, and through physical distribution
● Creation of promotional materials including flyers, handbills, and other graphics
● Represent the Council and Nadaka at community outreach events and tabling
● For paddle events - assistant will be fully engaged with pre-event logistics, register participants, inventory and prepare gear, deliver safety talks, assist with event set-up/tear down and act as a guide on the water
● Organization of materials, general organizational support and administration (eg timesheets)
● Participate as a leader in the planning committee for the Annual Nadaka Community Festival
● Conduct outreach for community planning/Nadaka 2020 Community Steering Committee
● Lead volunteers, interns, and school groups in habitat restoration events & community garden work at Nadaka Park
● Complete and submit all necessary paperwork and reports in a timely manner; abide by program policies; attend and complete all training and service requirements.
Community Need Addressed
Advancing Environmental Justice
Garden Based Education
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
$100 Training Fund
Skills you will gain
Develop increased understanding and sensitivity around issues of equity and environmental justice.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment