Christian Appalachian Project (CAP) AmeriCorps members commit to direct Service, intentional Community, and Spirituality/reflection in Appalachian Kentucky. As a component of CAP’s Child and Family Development program, S.P.A.R.K. (Scholastic Preparation, Arts, and Recreation for Kids) serves children ages 5-18. The Youth Worker designs presentations and activities to engage students in academics, the arts, and recreational activities, and assists children and teens with homework in all subject areas. In the summer, the Youth Worker leads activities such as field trips or day camps.
• Provides leadership, supervision, and positive role modeling to youth to assure conformity with CAP’s Mission Statement, organizational policies and procedures, and Program Description and Standards Manual for the effective and professional delivery of service to our participants. (Includes confidentiality, accountability, and adhering to program-approved discipline techniques/policies).
• Assumes responsibility for on-going program components and home visits as well as organizing and leading various social/recreational/educational activities that will implement the program’s goals and objectives.
• Develops realistic personal goals with participants including objectives and tasks that will assist in meeting these goals.
• Networks with other agencies in the area for presentation and referral purposes.
• Completes all monthly paperwork in a timely manner and is accountable for petty cash.
• Transports participants as necessary, keeps vehicle in a safe, presentable condition, and follows all CAP policies regarding transportation.
• Serves in other CAP and AmeriCorps programs when doing so does not interfere with the above duties.
• Participates in additional training and enrichment opportunities as assigned.
Community Need Addressed
Low academic and (conflict resolution, consumer awareness) social skills among elementary and high school students in rural Appalachian counties; lack of after-school programming for youth.
Corps members will increase the academic and social skills of elementary and middle school students through in-school character education, tutoring, and after-school programming.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Housing, Relocation allowance (if applicable), Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
All food and housing is provided for members who choose to live in community. The stipend ("living allowance") is $115 bi-weekly for members who live in community and $235 bi-weekly for members who live independently.
GED/High School Diploma
CPR, First Aid
Skills you will gain
CPR, First Aid, public speaking, teaching, communication, conflict resolution
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner
Creativity & Problem Solving
Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment