The program applies a layered approach implemented by the CalSERVES Mentors for K – 8 students. All students at the school site benefit from the support of organized collaborative games and conflict resolution during recess/break and lunch. Students in need of additional supports will be assessed and assigned targeted tutoring services. Additionally, some students will receive intensive mentoring services.
• Plan and lead focused activities during recess/breaks, lunch, and transition times during the core day and after school to embed positive behavior
• Support the program by encouraging participation, attendance and engagement through parent nights, clubs, field trips, and homework support
• Plan and lead daily 30-minute paired, tutoring sessions focusing on Literacy or STEM to enhance the academic development of students
• Plan and lead weekly 30-minute mentoring sessions focused on developing social skills to help remove barriers to learning
• Participate in training and professional development to improve quality services for youth
• Participate in National Service events to support the local community
• Opportunity to develop skills in data collection and analysis, event planning, and communication
Community Need Addressed
This role provides an exciting opportunity to be part of an ambitious team working towards closing the achievement gap and removing barriers to learning for youth.
Students are at the heart of our work. We are seeking a proactive, enthusiastic and independent CalSERVES Mentor to support the academic and social skills development of high-need students in local area schools. Our program partners with schools to identify students who would benefit from a positive, adult role model that can give targeted academic support as well as mentor students to be their most resilient selves.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Relocation allowance (if applicable), Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Skills you will gain
Organization, flexibility, motivation,c ontinuous professional development in personalized areas, learning to accept constructive feedback, growth with ethics and integrity, adaptability with changes in working environment, multitasking, collaboration and cooperation, conflict resolution, teamwork, tutoring and mentoring, volunteer management and engagement, relationship building, develop leadership and interpersonal skills, and much more!
Competencies You Will Develop
- Activity Types Hands On Activities, Office Activities, Professional Activities
- Focus Areas Arts & Culture, Economic Security, Education & Youth
- Length of Service 11 Months
- Education Requirements High School Graduate
- Placement Individual and Team Placements
- Service Setting Elementary School, Middle School, School District
- Weekly Training Hours 5
Listings for this Position
Expanded Learning Mentor
Service Commitment • Full time, 11 month commitment serving a minimum of 1700 hours, may include some evenings and weekends. • Hours are generally Monday – Friday from 8:30 – 6:00PM (varies slightly by school site) Areas of ...
Location Napa, CA + 1 more
Focus Arts & Culture + 2 more
Duration Jan. 8, 2018 - June 29, 2018