Three AmeriCorps members serving as Volunteer Engagement Specialists will support the community volunteer recruitment, training, and retention efforts to secure the 500 community volunteers needed for individualized outreach at 6 Boston Public Schools, serving a population of 2,650 students during school-day and after-school hours. Members will serve at 826 Boston’s writing and tutoring center in Roxbury and lead the charge to engage 500+ volunteers in 826 Boston Writers’ Rooms located at six Boston Public Schools across the city. They will join a team comprising Volunteer Manager, Community Engagement Coordinator, and three AmeriCorps members.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Compensation and Benefits
1. Professional Development: As an AmeriCorps Community Engagement Specialist, you will build upon your personal strengths and develop transferable skills, such as teamwork, leadership, decision-making, project management and relationship development. You will develop your knowledge of school and community partnerships, cross-sector collaboration, and the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit organization. 826 Boston provides AmeriCorps Members with formal onboarding in the summer, ongoing training throughout the year, and individualized coaching from a direct supervisor.
2. Living Stipend: AmeriCorps Community Engagement Specialists will receive a gross bi-weekly stipend of $538.15, totaling a maximum of $13,992 annually.
3. Education Award: As an AmeriCorps Member, Community Engagement Specialists qualify for an Eli Segal Education Award of $5,920 for every successful year of service, which includes completing 1,700 hours of service and completing the full duration of the 11-month program. The education award can be used to repay student loans or cover tuition costs for graduate studies at an accredited college or university.
4. Travel Stipend: $70/month travel stipend for months of active service
5. Medical Coverage: AmeriCorps members have the opportunity to request reimbursement of up to $50/month to cover individual health coverage premiums. All AmeriCorps members are eligible for this reimbursement but may decline it in favor of alternative coverage obtained through a parent, guardian, or spouse.
6. Time Off: 80 hours of sick time and 80 hours of vacation time
7. Public Benefits: AmeriCorps Members may be eligible for food and public utility benefits.
High School Graduate
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
1. High school diploma
2. Interest in teaching/tutoring writing to students grades K-12 in an urban setting
3. Desire to work with and support volunteers from diverse backgrounds and wide ranges of experience
4. Ability to coach and mentor volunteers and interns
5. Ability to adapt to various working and management styles
6. Ability to participate in open communication to build community and foster team goals including the advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
7. Strong written and verbal communication skills
8. Proficiency in organizational, time management, project management, and resource management skills
9. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Apps
10. Proficiency in Cape Verdean Creole, Haitian Creole, Arabic, or Spanish preferred, but not required
11. Familiarity with the Boston Public Schools system, particularly the schools in Roxbury, Dorchester, and Jamaica Plain preferred, but not required
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check