The ideal candidate is detailed-oriented, highly organized, and comfortable with analysing and synthesizing information so that it can be communicated in a simple and easily understandable way to internal and external stakeholders. It is an excellent opportunity for an entry-level person with an interest in working in the non-profit sector to develop an understanding on how programs are supported to achieve a poverty-fighting mission.
The VISTA member will create a formal volunteer program and processes that will ensure adequate assignments are identified for each program/department need and/or special event at YW3CA. Assignments create opportunities to engage the community in service and increase program effectiveness.
• Recruit, train, coordinate and track the activities of the organization's volunteers.
• Maintain a volunteer database.
• Nurture volunteers to improve their connection to YW3CA.
• Recognize volunteers on a regular basis, both formally and informally.
• Identify leaders among volunteers and recruits and trains them for additional responsibilities.
• Recruitment (advertising and outreach), training, placement, recognition, retention, tracking and evaluation;
• Responsible for volunteer screening, selection, and match process. Provide initial volunteer orientation and YW orientation;
• Develop and maintain relevant volunteer position descriptions;
• Act as a primary YW3CA connection to recruit volunteers from local colleges and universities;
• Evaluate ongoing volunteer needs and work program directors to develop and grow new volunteer positions.
Community Need Addressed
AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer Coordinator will help ensure that children of Pottstown receive the educational, social, and emotional support they need to help them break the cycle of poverty.
Building Community Awareness and Engagement to increase family involvement, youth mentoring, and Out-of-School Time program participation.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
• Free lunch daily
• Federal non-competitive eligibility after completion of service
• Choice of Segal Education Award (valued at approximately $6,000) or a $1,800 cash stipend
• Full health care or health care allowance (covers co-payments, up to approximately $7,000)
AmeriCorps members will gain skills in social work, job training skills, community outreach and
networking. Members will be involved in event planning and management, program evaluation,
data collection and analysis.
Skills you will gain
• Design research efforts to address community needs
• Demonstrate project management, data management and analysis skills.
• Strong reading, writing, communication, and presentation skills
• Willingness and understanding to work with under-served community members.
• Understanding of diverse family dynamics and cultural differences with the ability to work with and empower families
• Works with VISTA Supervisor(s) and VISTA Advisory Board to report results and updates of assessment progress
• Manage and respond to project related email
• Attend meetings as necessary
• Knowledge of and sensitive to the issues facing the community served.
• Strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, families, and members of the community.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment