The ideal candidate is detailed-oriented, highly organized, and comfortable with analysing and synthesizing information so that it can be communicated in a simple and easily understandable way to internal and external stakeholders. It is an excellent opportunity for an entry-level person with an interest in working in the non-profit sector to develop an understanding on how programs are supported to achieve a poverty-fighting mission.
The VISTA member will create Gender-Based Juvenile Assessment Tool to evaluate current issues surrounding school discipline among middle and high school girls in the Pottstown School District. Determine programming that will best encourage girls to stay in school, and to build skills in leadership, positive self-identity, sound decision making, and accountability. Assess the current state of discipline among middle and high school girls in Pottstown School District. Report Gender-Based Juvenile Research findings to partnering agencies.
• Research best practices to create statistically valid field research, compile and interpret results.
• Work collaboratively with VISTA Capacity Building Members in Pottstown, PA to create statistically valid Gender-Based Juvenile Assessment tool.
• Maintain data collection system including procedures.
• Determine appropriate technology to store, analyze, and report findings.
• Discuss survey findings, recommendations and restorative justice best practices with local school districts.
• Schedule meetings with judges, magistrates, probation officers, school resource officers, and/or juvenile justice officials in Pottstown and Montgomery County, PA to understand history of community service as form of discipline.
• Develop tool used to collect demographic information about girls currently mandated to perform community service.
• Interview middle school and high school girls attending Pottstown School District.
• Review findings from Listening Tours.
• Create assessment of needs tool for girls who are completing court ordered community service hours
• Research and identify community programming options and barriers for middle and high school aged girls
• Develop system to collect and assess data.
• Work collaboratively with VISTA Capacity Building Members in Pottstown, PA
• Participate in Steering Committee, led by Pottstown Foundation.
• Meet with TCN Youth Engagement Committee to build partnerships.
• Create formal written report of findings
• Present findings to fiscal sponsor, partnering agencies, and TCN General Membership.
Community Need Addressed
AmeriCorps VISTA Gender-Based Juvenile Researcher will help ensure that children of Pottstown receive the educational, social, and emotional support they need to help them break the cycle of poverty.
Building Community Awareness and Engagement to increase family involvement, youth mentoring, and Out-of-School Time program participation.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
• Free lunch daily
• Federal non-competitive eligibility after completion of service
• Choice of Segal Education Award (valued at approximately $6,000) or a cash stipend
• Full health care or health care allowance (covers co-payments, up to approximately $7,000)
AmeriCorps members will gain skills in social work, job training skills, community outreach and
networking. Members will be involved in event planning and management, program evaluation,
data collection and analysis.
Skills you will gain
• Design research efforts to address community needs
• Demonstrate project management, data management and analysis skills.
• Strong reading, writing, communication, and presentation skills
• Willingness and understanding to work with under-served community members.
• Understanding of diverse family dynamics and cultural differences with the ability to work with and empower families
• Works with VISTA Supervisor(s) and VISTA Advisory Board to report results and updates of assessment progress
• Manage and respond to project related email
• Attend meetings as necessary
• Knowledge of and sensitive to the issues facing the community served.
• Strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, families, and members of the community.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment