The ideal candidate is detailed-oriented, highly organized, and comfortable with analysing and synthesizing information so that it can be communicated in a simple and easily understandable way to internal and external stakeholders. It is an excellent opportunity for an entry-level person with an interest in working in the non-profit sector to develop an understanding on how programs are supported to achieve a poverty-fighting mission.
The VISTA member will assess the current state of YW3CA’s efforts in supporting families in need and/or crisis. Create or revise policies, procedures, and documents to improve the effectiveness and sustainability of the family support efforts. Provide YW Staff and Volunteer Training surrounding assistance to families in crisis. Report Family Needs Assessment findings to partnering agencies.
• Review YW3CA’s current intake processes for all programs.
• Research Family Support Services available through partner agencies.
• Build an intake and assessment tool that captures a family’s needs and the information needed to provide assistance.
• Create a system for collecting, tabulating, storing, and sharing the data collected.
• Determine appropriate technology to store, analyze, and report findings.
• Research and assess how YW Staff members currently identify and help families in crisis.
• Work with Senior Management and Program Directors to establish written processes, policies and procedures.
• Develop and deliver Training tool that supports assisting YW families in crisis.
• Work collaboratively with VISTA Capacity Building Members in Pottstown, PA
• Participate in Steering Committee, led by Pottstown Foundation.
• Meet with TCN Youth Engagement Committee to build partnerships.
• Create formal written report of findings
• Present findings to fiscal sponsor, partnering agencies, and TCN General Membership.
Community Need Addressed
AmeriCorps VISTA Family Resource Assessment Coordinator will help ensure that children of Pottstown receive the educational, social, and emotional support they need to help them break the cycle of poverty.
Building Community Awareness and Engagement to increase family involvement, youth mentoring, and Out-of-School Time program participation.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
• Free lunch daily
• Federal non-competitive eligibility after completion of service
• Choice of Segal Education Award (valued at approximately $6,000) or a cash stipend
• Full health care or health care allowance (covers co-payments, up to approximately $7,000)
AmeriCorps members will gain skills in social work, job training skills, community outreach and networking. Members will be involved in event planning and management, program evaluation, data collection and analysis.
Skills you will gain
• Design research efforts to address community needs
• Demonstrate project management, data management and analysis skills.
• Strong reading, writing, communication, and presentation skills
• Willingness and understanding to work with under-served community members.
• Understanding of diverse family dynamics and cultural differences with the ability to work with and empower families
• Works with VISTA Supervisor(s) and VISTA Advisory Board to report results and updates of assessment progress
• Manage and respond to project related email
• Attend meetings as necessary
• Knowledge of and sensitive to the issues facing the community served.
• Strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, families, and members of the community.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment