Youth in Service (YIS) members provide direct, intensive service to youth and families through their service site: either a non-profit organization or local school. Members support young people in meeting their needs, which may vary depending upon service site location.
YIS members at school based sites may engage in the following activities:
• Tutor students needing individualized or small group support
• Support classroom curriculum by assisting teachers
• Develop and lead after-school enrichment activities (clubs)
• Develop and implement family engagement activities
• Monitor student participation and progress for evaluation and reporting as required by the service site and the AmeriCorps program
• Participate in volunteer recruitment for school activities
• Facilitate and oversee alternative recess
The YIS Program hosts members at the following sites: Olympia High School, McLane Elementary, Garfield Elementary, Wa He Lut Indian School, Hansen Elementary, and LP Brown Elementary.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Youth in Service members have access to the Member Assistance Program, providing free and confidential counseling services 24/7.
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Interest in working with youth and families
• Ability to work independently and as a team
• Ability to communicate clearly and directly
• Comfort working and communicating with diverse populations
• Commitment to maintaining a positive work environment that values diversity
• Be able to follow site and AmeriCorps policies and procedures
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 25