The ideal candidate will have the desire and skills to work with young adults as they grow their skills through a rigorous customer service and digital literacy vocational training track that ultimately prepares them for retail (customer-facing) employment as well as post-secondary education. This position is housed within the Business Administration Scholars (BAS) vocational track a specifically designed pre-college track, where students are prepared to handle work-school-life balance after YouthBuild. With the support of a team of individuals, this position will have facilitating, service, mentoring and extracurricular responsibilities.
The duties and responsibilities of the PennSERVE AmeriCorps – Safer Communities Ambassador are, as follows:
Create an engaging service site with partners focused on achieving safer communities.
• Establish partnerships with community organizations that work towards safer communities, community unity, and police-community partnerships.
• Facilitate service projects centered around community engagement
• Problem-solve with students the day-to-day barriers on the worksite, that arise and use this as teachable moments so they may build transferrable and professional skills
Customer Service Training
• Facilitate classes to select students in the basics of customer service using an established customer service curriculum
• Grade students on their work and meet with them to discuss professional skills attainment
• Act as a support to the Customer Service Manager for the on-the-job training in an applied learning site for customer service
• Teach established coursework to build foundational skills for Digital Literacy that will better prepare them for post-secondary school and employment
• Work with all students on their Digital Portfolios
• Attend weekly all-staff and department meetings, as well as any other meetings as required by the BAS Manager and Director of Vocational Training
• Guide and support young adults in the process of post-secondary educational discernment process
• Believe deeply in the mission and values of YouthBuild Philadelphia
• Model professional behavior for students at all times
• Exhibit consistent positive rapport with students
• Develop teamwork and leadership skills of students
• Demonstrate creativity and flexibility in identifying locations and settings of professional-work opportunities, as well as in the teaching tools used in the career-readiness preparation.
• Participate in the School’s Mentoring Program;
• Participate in community-service projects in keeping with the service ethic of the School;
• Support the overall climate and culture of the School, including but not limited to, the utilization of restorative-practices for disciplining students, support of leadership development, participation in events, and visits to worksites/internships, as appropriate;
• Support fundraising and related development efforts for the School.
• Continue to develop professional skills through trainings and professional-development activities offered both at the School and identified external trainings;
• Attend retreats, workshops, and conferences, as required.
Other duties as assigned by the BAS Manager or Director of Vocational Training
Community Need Addressed
This position addresses the out of school youth population (ages 18-20)
Increases student/member leadership in the community to promote safer communities
This position will result in an increased number of students attaining their high school diploma and a decreased number of out of school youth.
This position will also result in supporting out of school youth in becoming leaders in their community through service.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Stipend, Student loan forbearance
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment