Full-time AmeriCorps Community Project Coordinators (CPCs) at YouthBuild Philadelphia will have the opportunity to foster civic responsibility among our students, strengthen our community, and work closely with our partner organizations.
AmeriCorps Community Project Coordinators at YouthBuild Philadelphia perform the following duties:
• Participate in positive climate and culture of the school by building community and resolving conflict through restorative practices.
• Coordinate the community-service efforts for the entire student body through classroom-based service-learning courses
• Facilitate a service-learning course focused on social justice issues that affect residents of Philadelphia, and expose students to community organizations working on these issues
• Coordinate afterschool and Saturday service opportunities for students by partnering with outside organizations and designing original projects
• Plan school-wide MLK Day of Service project
• Support and serve with student members on their vocation-service sites. Service tracks include Healthcare, Childcare, and varying levels of construction
• Support the school’s Saturday-School academic-enhancement program
• Plan and facilitate extra-curricular and student-engagement activities
• Serve as mentor to students
• Tutor students through in-classroom support and after school on a rotating basis
• Run student leadership groups focusing on student government and peer mediation
• Plan student events, such as picnics, dances, and prom
• Support students in post-secondary planning and placements
Community Need Addressed
This position addresses the out of school youth population (ages 18-20)
This position will result in an increased number of students attaining their high school diploma and a decreased number of out of school youth.
This position will also result in supporting out of school youth in becoming leaders in their community through service.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
A living allowance of $20,000 for the one-year term. The living allowance is taxable, and taxes will be deducted directly from the living allowance and will be distributed biweekly, first by check than by direct deposit.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment