Position Service Site: Hunt Hill Audubon Sanctuary (Sarona, WI)
Service Time: May 31 – August 13, 2022 (450 Hour AmeriCorps Term) (45 hours/week) (11 weeks)
Benefits: Living stipend total for whole term = $4,026.72 (366.07 per week) Education Award = $1,718.25 upon successful completion of service.
Onsite housing and meals provided.
Covid-19 Vaccine strongly encouraged.
OVERVIEW: Hunt Hill is a nature preserve and learning center, open to all, dedicated to fostering the understanding, appreciation, and protection of the environment. Our facility boasts some of the most beautiful and unique habitats found in Wisconsin – bogs, old growth forests, meadow, and four glacial lakes. In addition to our beautiful natural surrounds, we offer a variety of programs for visitors of all ages.
SERVICE DESCRIPTION: Environmental Educators will work with the Program Coordinator to implement effective and interactive environmental education programs for youth at our facility. Environmental Educators can expect a fun, welcoming work atmosphere that also provides invaluable job experience.
Members will be trained in American Red Cross First Aid, CPR, AED, Lifeguarding, Blood-Borne-Pathogens, and Anaphylaxis and Epinephrine Auto-Injector training.
• Develop and implement fun and hands-on environmental education programs, primarily for youth ages 5-12 years old in Hunt Hill’s Youth Day Camp program.
Plan day camp activities and other environmental education programs to meet objectives; create strategies to include all campers of all abilities in the daily activities; establish “rainy day” activities and contingency plans for daily activities; develop age-appropriate educational experiences.
Implement activities in an engaging and enthusiastic manner; lead environmental activities and assist others in delivering them.
• Supervise youth campers during Hunt Hill activities and ensure their safety.
Supervise groups of about 10 youth during day camps and other activities, including crafts, games, and educational classes, at the waterfront and at a distance of a mile or more away from our main camp; oversee proper use of facilities and equipment.
Participate in first aid courses during staff training; enforce rules and policies to ensure youth campers are engaging in safe activities; serve as a lifeguard during scheduled swim and water activities (if certified in provided training); participate in emergency action plan training, and understand their operation and implementation.
• Assist in logistics for Public Programs.
Assist in the set-up and general clean-up of Hunt Hill public programs.
Assist in the Nature Store as needed.
Assist in enforcing Covid precautions.
• Serve as a cooperating camp staff team member to help fill in, as needed, with various operations throughout the camp.
o This may include kitchen chores, general maintenance, trail maintenance, and cleaning.
• Must be at least 18 years
• Must hold a high school diploma or equivalent
• Must pass a background check
• Possess a strong interest in nature, the outdoors, and working with youth.
• Enthusiastic, dependable, and trustworthy.
• Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to work long, flexible hours when needed, including weekends and evenings.
• Experience teaching or working with youth.
• Possess American Red Cross lifeguard certification, or be willing to become certified (training is provided).
• Preference given to applicants with a current lifeguard certification or willingness to become certified (training is provided).
Individual Placement AmeriCorps Members serve with WisCorps partner organizations focused on the areas of natural resource conservation and environmental education. Members promote community service and environmental awareness through direct training and service in the outdoors while participating in community engagement projects. Service Members serve at a single placement site, receive a biweekly stipend and AmeriCorps benefits that correlate to their term of service. Upon successful completion of their service hours, Individual Placements receive a Segal Education Award correlating to the number of service hours completed.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Housing, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Living stipend total for whole term = $4,026.72 (366.07 per week) Education Award = $1,718.25 upon successful completion of service.
Onsite housing and meals provided.
Subject to criminal background check