In Washington State, 44.7% of 4th graders are not proficient readers, a skill that is essential for success in later grades and beyond. One way to address this disparity is through one-on-one and small group literacy tutoring for students in Pre-K through 4th grade. Early literacy tutoring not only improves test scores, but may also positively affect grades, long-term educational outcomes, self-image, and perceptions about personal futures.
As a Washington Reading Corps member, you will:
- Provide classroom pull-out or push-in literacy tutoring
- Facilitate literacy activities during lunch or recess, and in after-school programs
- Organize literacy events and activities at the service site
- Recruit and/or manage additional literacy volunteers from the community
These positions are full-time (40 hours/week).
- Monthly stipend of $1,307
- Health insurance coverage
- Childcare assistance, if qualified
- Upon successful completion of service term, an education award that can be used to pay for college tuition, pay off existing qualified school loans, or – if the member is at least 55 years of age – can be transferred to a child or grandchild.
Learn more about available positions at www.washingtonservicecorps.org!
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check
17 - 99