In Washington State, almost 900,000 people struggle with food insecurity, and one in five kids don’t get enough to eat every day. Each year, a growing number of low-income seniors and disabled adults experience prolonged social isolation, leading to an increase in major mental and physical health issues. Health issues related to obesity and an increasingly sedentary lifestyle continue to plague our nation’s youth.
But you can help.
As a WSC AmeriCorps member, you can serve in one of many different kinds of programs that aim to end hunger, promote better nutrition, and increase the number of active, independent older adults – thereby helping to create healthy, vibrant communities.
- coordinating meal assistance programs in schools;
- coordinating food bank home delivery services to low-income, homebound individuals;
- providing nutrition education through cooking classes and outdoor activities;
- developing and facilitating wellness activities, physical fitness programs and youth sports camps.
WSC positions are full-time (40 hours/week) for 10.5 months starting September 2019 - October 2019.
• Base monthly stipend of $1,450
• Health insurance coverage
• Childcare assistance, if qualified
• Upon successful completion of the service term, an education award of $6,195 that can be used to pay for college tuition, pay off existing qualified school loans, or – if the member is at least 55 years of age – can be transferred to a child or grandchild.
Learn more about available positions at www.washingtonservicecorps.org!
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Subject to criminal background check