Virginia Service and Conservation Corps Veterans CrewVirginia State Parks
A program of Virginia State Parks, the Virginia Service and Conservation Corps Veterans Crews places military veterans in crews to serve on special park projects throughout the Commonwealth. Veterans Crew members complete projects on public lands in Virginia State Parks, including creating accessible trails and facilities, yurt installation, invasive species control, and habitat construction. Members receive valuable training and certifications during service, including construction, Wildland Firefighting, First Aid/CPR, trail building, chainsaw use. The work is physically demanding and primarily outdoors in all weather conditions. Crew members are based at Pocahontas State Park and Hungry Mother State Park, and frequent overnight travel is required. Housing is provided. Mandatory training will take place from November 1-4 at Twin Lakes State Park. In order to serve in the VSCC Veterans Crew, members must have served in US Armed Forces, including Guard and Reserves with a discharge or release under conditions other than dishonorable.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Housing, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
Hands On Activites In Environment, Veterans & Military Families
$1253 - $1253 monthly
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Strong desire to work hard and make a difference.
• Able to work long hours primarily outdoors in varying weather conditions.
• Able to travel to parks and public lands within Virginia as needed for day trips as well as overnight projects for up to 1 month at a time. Transportation and housing will be provided for travel.
• Previous experience in construction/carpentry preferred, but not required.
• Able to accurately maintain reports related to activities, programs, and service hours.
• Committed to complete 1700 hours of service in a 10 month period.
• Must have served in the US Armed Forces, including Guard and Reserves with a discharge or release under conditions other than dishonorable.
Park, State Agency other than State Service Commission
This Listing is Not Currently Recruiting
- Chesterfield, VA
- Marion, VA
- Virginia, US