Are you interested in making a difference in the community? Are you able to commit yourself to a year of service helping others? Join our AmeriCorps team!
Fight poverty and find your path on our team of 25 members across 4 counties in Upstate South Carolina. Our region is growing rapidly and is recognized with many accolades but that has not translated to improved conditions for low-income individuals & families. High unemployment and poverty rates contribute to food and housing crises alongside low financial literacy and limited access to reputable banking services. Our team members serve in partner organizations to overcome barriers, improve access, and create vibrant and equitable communities. The focus of our program is moving people who are in crisis and vulnerable toward safety, stability, and thriving.
AmeriCorps Members accomplish this by serving 1700 hours with a partner organization over the course of a service year. Our incoming team will serve from August 16, 2021 through July 31, 2022 beginning with a two-week orientation provided by program staff from United Way of Greenville County, our grant holder. Selected candidates will be matched with host organizations in a variety of positions available in Greenville, Laurens, Anderson, and Pickens counties.
This is a great opportunity for recent graduates, veterans, retirees, or anyone interested in starting a career in the nonprofit field. We are committed to increasing the diversity of our Corps and strongly encourage qualified individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you have the desire to serve others and have skills or experience related to social services, human services, case management, or community organization, you would be a great fit for our program.
As an AmeriCorps Upstate member, you will be trained to provide financial stability programs and services to the community, including but not limited to:
• Resource Navigation | Case management, crisis assistance, benefit applications through Thrive Hub, and connecting individuals and families with community resources
• Financial Literacy | Teaching financial literacy to people individually or in a classroom setting
• VITA: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance | Providing free tax preparation services in the community
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. This document is a general position description. Hired candidates will have a specific description and duties for their position.
Additional Required Expectations
• Have a high school diploma or equivalent
• Serve full-time (36-40 hours / week) to reach 1700 service hours by end of term
• Work directly with clients
• Pass three criminal history checks
• Attend orientation
• Be at least 18 years old at start of service
• Earn advanced IRS certification for VITA preparation
• Some weekday evenings and Saturday mornings during tax season (January – April)
• Submit time sheets weekly
• Track program measure data
• Be able to use a computer and Microsoft Office programs
• Some travel required (~10-30% based on position)
• Be a U.S. Citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
The AmeriCorps living allowance is generally excluded from income for calculation of benefits such as SNAP and HUD.
Our program is able to provide dental and vision healthcare benefits to team members.
We host monthly professional development sessions on topics such as public speaking, mental health first aid, and grant writing.
We also reimburse for service-related mileage expenditures (not including commuting).
Our group has a social committee that organizes events.
The nature of our program allows for a lot of networking in the local nonprofit community.
We welcome second year members and like to provide leadership and training opportunities to the group.
High School Graduate
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check