The AmeriCorps member will coordinate a mentoring program at their assigned local middle school. This includes recruiting mentors from the local community, hosting mentor trainings, coordinating matches between mentors and students, monitoring program progress, and addressing scheduling, communication, and training needs as they arise. The AmeriCorps member will also coordinate with school leadership to provide targeted academic and social-emotional support to students.
•Recruit and maintain a diverse set of volunteer mentors from the local community.
• Ensure that mentor applicants meet minimum qualifications and have passed all required background checks.
• Coordinate materials and logistics for mentor trainings and meetings.
• Collaborate with school administration to identify and enroll students for participation in the mentoring program.
• Facilitate matching of mentors and mentees.
• Keep accurate and detailed program records.
• Assist Director of Community Impact in periodic collection of program data for evaluation.
• Collaborate with school administration to provide direct academic and/or social-emotional support to students.
• Uphold the highest standards of student protection, privacy, and safety.
• Participate in all professional development, training, and periodic community service events.
Community Need Addressed
This program will address chronic absenteeism in grades 6-8 in Benton & Franklin Counties, Washington through an AmeriCorps lunchtime mentoring program for chronically absent middle school students.
As a result of this program, participating students will be absent less often, will show academic improvement, and will demonstrate increased social-emotional engagement.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Mileage reimbursement included.
Skills you will gain
Project management, event planning, time management, public speaking, cross-cultural communication.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment