Have you ever helped a family member or friend receive healthcare services? Do your neighbors or friends come to you for help? Are there things harming your community you feel passionate about changing? If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," this might be the service opportunity for you.
CHWs are trusted, knowledgeable frontline health personnel who typically come from the communities they serve. CHWs bridge cultural and linguistic barriers, expand access to coverage and care, and improve health outcomes.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
• Living stipend in the mount of $1,500/month ($18,000/year), distributed bi-monthly
• Eli Segal Education award in the amount of $5,920 upon successful completion of service
• Postponement of eligible student loans
• Health insurance premium reimbursement (to include dental) up to $170 per month for those not enrolled in a plan
• Childcare assistance, if eligible
• Professional development and subject-matter training
Members are responsible for facilitating: postponement of eligible student loans with their loan holders, enrollment into a health insurance plan at the start of service, and enrollment into the childcare assistance program if eligible. These processes are not automatic and must be driven by the member.
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Legal Permanent Resident or citizen of the U.S.
• Basic computer skills
• Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with patients and program stakeholders
• Understanding of, and sensitivity to, the target community
• Good communication skills such as listening, speaking, and writing
• Ability and willingness to provide emotional support, encouragement, and motivation to patients
• Ability to work independently and as part of a group
• Willingness to take initiative and be pro-active in daily work
• Willingness to travel to community-based organizations and patients’ homes
English, American Sign Language, Arabic, French, Spanish
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 99