The UCC Crew Leader is a 7-month AmeriCorps position where the member participates in UCC’s Crew Leader Development Program and then takes on direct leadership of a UCC field crew. The spring field season is spent in a “Crew Leader In-Training” capacity working on a crew with fellow trainees and developing leadership and conservation skills. Upon demonstrating necessary skills and competencies, the leader moves into a full Crew Leader role for summer and fall field seasons leading a 5-8 person crew in the completion of habitat restoration and trail improvement projects on public lands around Utah!
Education award upon successful completion of service, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Student loan forbearance, Training
• AmeriCorps Living Allowance, $725.00 paid twice-per-month for 3-months; increased to $825.00 paid twice-per-month thereafter.
• AmeriCorps Education Award:
o $4,144.00 for November end date.
o $2,255.24 for August end date.
• Forbearance on qualifying student loans while in service.
• Conservation leadership training, certifications, and field experience.
• Wilderness First Responder upon successful completion of both the practical and written examination, as well as satisfactory completion of term of service.
• Advanced chainsaw training. Nationally recognized certification upon successful completion of both the classroom and field evaluations, as well as satisfactory completion of term of service.
• Herbicide Applicator license.
• Working with land management agency professionals.
High School Graduate
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Leadership experience and demonstrated leadership skills.
• Teaching, training, and mentoring skills.
• Conflict management skills.
• Effective communication & interpersonal skills.
• High degree of maturity & professionalism.
• Previous conservation corps, public lands management, or similar experience.
• Chainsaw experience, preferred.
• Trail maintenance and construction experience, preferred.
• Demonstrated outdoor skills.
• Camping experience, including backpacking, preferred.
• Alignment to UCC mission and values of safety, service, community, inclusivity, positivity and commitment.
• Support of UCC Mission & Values and a positive, constructive attitude.
• Commitment to personal growth.
• Flexibility – ability and desire to work in a dynamic environment and take on change.
• Ability and willingness to think creatively, adapt, adjust, and problem solve in order to manage a crew and project assignments.
• Ability and willingness to work an irregular schedule.
• Ability, willingness, and desire to live out of a tent and work in all weather conditions.
• Willingness and physical ability to work on a variety of conservation projects, which may include 12-hour days traveling, using chainsaws, hand tools, or applying herbicide.
• Employ proactive, active, and effective communication.
• At least 21 years of age.
• U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
• Eligible to enroll in AmeriCorps and willing to undergo a National Criminal History Check.
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check