CAA Coaches serving through AmeriCorps must complete their assigned term of service listed above not to exceed a 12 month period. During the term of service, the Coach will serve in a direct service role.
CrimFit Coaches will be serving primarily with the Flint Community Schools (FCS) Community Education Sports program. Sports cycle over the course of the year, with consistent students participating throughout the course of the year. Sports include, but are not limited to: Flag football, volleyball, basketball (boys & girls), archery, indoor and outdoor soccer, track/running clubs, baseball and softball. Sports programs take place after school on weekdays, with intramural competitions taking place amongst 9 FCS schools on some weekends. Coaches will also provide supplemental physical activity programming within the schools to increase students level of physical activity to improve student academic outcomes as time allows. These include, but are not limited to: yoga, mileage clubs, dance clubs and brain breaks. Coaches will also assist in some youth-based Crim events such as Summer Running Clubs and youth races.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
• Serve with 1 primary school, support up to 4 additional schools as time allows
• Create and carry out programs at elementary and middle schools during and after school
• Provide support to existing summer and school based programs
• Increase the capacity of the Crim to aid at-risk youth in the community
• Assist in Community Education Sports expansion
• Assist in training current and future school and Crim staff in sports based youth development
• Other duties as assigned
Additionally, the AmeriCorps CAA Coach will:
• Encourage participants to gain and develop life skills, knowledge, and techniques through sport, using lessons learned at Up2Us Sports’ best in class training events
• Perform data collection activities such as directed by your CAA Program Manager
• Act as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the community and youth served
CAA AmeriCorps Coaches must complete the following requirements to ensure successful completion of the AmeriCorps program:
• Completion of the minimum required hours of service and training by last day of coach contract
• Attendance at the CAA orientation
• Completion of twice monthly America Learns reflection logs at an 80% level or higher
• Completion of timesheets
• Attendance at a day of service
• Attend/participate in CAA trainings, meetings, and special initiatives
• Attend Coach Training Institute (date to be announced by CAA Program Manager)
Coaches must wear CAA branded t-shirts provided by Up2Us Sports with CAA and AmeriCorps logos when coaching and at program sessions and events
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• AmeriCorps is open to U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent residents.
• Members must be 18 years old.
• Members must have, or be working toward a High School diploma, GED or it’s equivalent.
Must have experience working with youth, preferably with at-risk youth. Must have a passion for the position and be organized, capable of clear communication, and aware of surroundings. Must be able to communicate effectively and maintain good working relationships with the general public, agency partners, and staff. The coach must be flexible with scheduling and be proactive in seeking opportunities to serve within the organization. Must be able to present information on a one-to-one basis or group setting. Know how to appropriately conduct oneself in an office as well as in the community.
Restrictions on Eligibility for Benefits
If a candidate has participated In:
• Two full-time service terms or their equivalent, the candidate will be ineligible for a third Education Award or other in-service and after-service benefits.
• Four AmeriCorps National Direct or State service terms, regardless of whether those terms were served on a full or part-time basis, the candidate is ineligible for benefits.
Additionally, a candidate cannot serve if:
• Failed to disclose to CAA any history of having been released for compelling personal circumstances or for cause from another AmeriCorps program, this will render him/her ineligible to receive the Education Award and may render the Coach ineligible for service with the Program.
• Released for cause from another AmeriCorps program but was released having performed satisfactorily, the candidate may still be eligible for participation in the Program. However, this eligibility does not guarantee selection or placement.
Subject to criminal background check