AmeriCorps Builds Lives through Education (ABLE) is an education focused National Service program. We collaborate with schools that share our mission of increasing the academic success of students in Buffalo, NY. ABLE mobilizes men and women in national service to revive and strengthen educational environments, expanding opportunities for today’s youth and transforming America’s future—one student, one classroom, and one community at a time. ABLE members serve the community by providing social/emotional/behavioral skills support, as well as math tutoring, in grades 4-10.
ABLE members serving at Boys & Girls Club will provide homework assistance, implement program curriculum and facilitate Positive Action (social-emotional intervention) with designated groups students. Members will assist with documentation/record keeping, inventory and supplies ordering, curriculum building, and working as a team at either their Butler-Mitchell Clubhouse or Masten Clubhouse.
• Members commit to 50 weeks of full-time (40hrs/week) service
• Work with students who have been identified by the partner site as needing additional support in math and/or social emotional life skills
• Participate in monthly ABLE professional development on topics that focus on building members’ skill sets
• Plan lessons using the evidence-base curriculum, Positive Action
• Work with educational leaders to strategize and implement best ways to serve students at partner site
Benefits during the term of service:
• Network with community and educational leaders
• Gain hands-on experience working with urban youth
• Be trained in two evidence-based interventions
• An annual living allowance of $7.140.64
• Health care coverage at no cost to the member (https://www.corpsnetwork.org/health-insurance-americorps-members)
• Childcare subsidy, eligibility is based on household income (https://www.americorpschildcare.com/)
• Federal student loan forbearance, you may also be eligible to enroll in other federal loan forgiveness programs (https://www.nationalservice.gov/resources/ed-award/loan-forgiveness)
What members gain after successfully completing a term of service with ABLE:
• Six months of experience working with urban youth
• Become more marketable in the education field; completing a term of service showcases your dedication, work ethic, and ability to work with a diverse group of students
• An Education Award of $2,960.00 that can be used to pay back federal student loans and/or to be used towards educational expenses
• Become a part of a network of over 1 million AmeriCorps Alums
• A letter of recommendation from your site supervisor
We are currently looking for individuals who are interested in pursuing a 6 month service term. Members can begin their term in January 2019. We will continue to place members until all positions are filled.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Relocation allowance (if applicable), Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Paid Time Off - Each member will receive 10 PTO days to utilize during their term.
Training - Members will attend a week long orientation with ABLE staff, an onsite orientation at their host site, and meet biweekly with ABLE Staff and Corps members throughout their term.
ABLE Staff - Members will have full access to the ABLE staff as their grow and develop throughout their term.
High School Graduate
Subject to criminal background check