Located on the Maine Coast in Rockland, Trekkers mission is to cultivate the inherent strengths of young people through the power of long-term mentoring relationships. Trekkers works with young people from the time they are in 7th grade through 12th grade. Each year of the program, students use active voice and choice to plan and implement 3-12 day expeditions that are based around positive relationship building, expeditionary learning, community service, and adventure-based education. Trekkers seeks qualified candidates for an AmeriCorps Member to serve as the Aspirations Program Assistant. Reporting to the Program Director, the Program Assistant will serve directly with Program Managers to support programming and expeditions. This position is contingent upon AmeriCorps funding.
- Support up to four cohorts of 20 students by providing mentoring and participation in meetings, overnights, and expeditions both in person and through teleservice.
- Develop and maintain caring, long-term relationships with participating students and their families.
- Provide consistent, active mentoring of youth both in one-to-one and group settings
-Assist Program Managers as a member of the leadership team on expeditions that include extended bus travel, rural and urban settings, outdoor experiential activities in backcountry and on water.
- Assist with planning and implementation of Big Trek Little Trek peer mentoring program
- Assist with planning and implementation of student leadership program
- Recruit and work with community volunteers to fulfill Trekkers mission
- Prepare paperwork and supplies for student meetings
- Assist with expedition preparation including paperwork and food shopping
- Assist with post expedition duties including filing reports and cleaning and organizing buses and equipment
- Assist with expedition planning including itinerary research and development
- Maintain and organize equipment and library; includes basic repairs to outdoor equipment
- Assist with communications to families including the preparation of mailings, email updates and follow up phone calls
- Assist with program evaluation including the survey process
- Other logistical support as needed
Community Need Addressed
Increased high school drop outs; need for positive relationships between young people and caring adults; decrease in optimism and learning interest in young people.
Increase in optimism and learning interest in young people we are serving; Increase in supports such as tutoring and mentoring to assist in high school success for young people; Increase in hope and understanding of opportunities for success post high school; Increase in high school graduation rate; Increase in social-emotional support through positive relationships with young people that can make the difference between surviving and thriving.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Training
Potential Certifications based on interest/needs of service member: Wilderness First Aid, Lifeguard Certification, Mandated Reporter Training, Youth Development Training through Trekkers Training Institute, OUT Maine Training (LGBTQ inclusivity), Youth Mental Health, First Aid Certification, etc.
Skills you will gain
Time management, expedition planning and implementation, facilitation, mentoring, professional relationship-building, organizational skills
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment