The mission of the AmeriCorps, Together We Prepare (TWP) Program is to provide vital emergency assistance to victims and communities affected by disaster and to increase preparedness in the area of greatest need before disaster strike by recruiting and supporting volunteers in Red Cross direct service activities, integrated community outreach, and education.
Under the direction of the Disaster Program Manager (DPM), the Disaster Cycle Services (DCS) Associate is responsible for the successful development, coordination, and overall growth of the Disaster Preparedness Education Services program within their defined service site chapter. The DCS Associate will assist in all phases of the disaster cycle: Preparedness, Response, and Recovery. Members will also participate in activities related to volunteer recruitment and management, professional development training, networking opportunities, and community engagement activities.
This listing is specifically for the Grand Rapids Office of the American Red Cross, serving Barry, Ionia, Kent, Lake, Mason, Mecosta, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oceana, Osceola, and Ottawa counties.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
As a Together We Prepare AmeriCorps member, the American Red Cross provides all training required to complete assigned duties in a combination of web-based and instructor-led trainings. This includes a two-year CPR/First/AED certification. Further training in disaster preparedness and response that pertain to each member's interests are available at no cost to the member.
Credential or Certification
High School Graduate
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
1. College degree (associate’s degree or higher)
2. Current valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
3. Enthusiastic and positive attitude toward helping others
4. Ability to adapt to needs of the community as well as changes in policy, procedure, and/or other areas of service.
5. Demonstrate professionalism, flexibility and initiative
6. Experience in social work, criminal justice, fire science, and/or emergency management
7. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively via written and oral methods
8. Interest or experience in disaster relief and preparedness
9. Excellent organizational and time-management skills
10. Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
11. Comfortable with public speaking and group facilitation
12. Ability to mobilize on national disaster assignments lasting two-three weeks
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check