Each Literacy Lab tutor serves full-time for 11 months in a high-need school, implementing evidence-based literacy interventions with students who are struggling to read.
Our K-3 tutors serve full-time at one school for the entire year, working with students from different classrooms. Our tutors use 10 structured, scripted early literacy interventions that compliment what’s already being taught in the classroom. Tutors work with their caseloads of 15-18 students every day, providing the opportunity to build deep, meaningful relationships.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
• A modest living stipend (varies by service region; $1,300 - $1,600/month, pre-tax)
• An education award of approximately $6,000
• Basic health coverage, covered by The Literacy Lab
• May be eligible for childcare assistance and/or SNAP benefits (based on income)
• Federal student loan forbearance
Training and Coaching:
• Intensive, week-long Literacy Lab Institute prior to starting at school site
• Rigorous coaching from school-based supervisors and literacy experts
• Year-round training and professional development
Mission-Driven Professional Network:
• Networking opportunities with past Literacy Lab Alumni
• Access to national AmeriCorps network of 1 million service-minded individuals
• Foot in the door with local schools and community service organizations
The Literacy Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations provided upon request. Required physical/sensory job functions provided upon request.
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check