What are the qualifications to apply?
Potential candidates for the 2018-2019 AmeriCorps Alums Segal Leadership Award will meet the following criteria:
- Have demonstrated strong communication, collaboration, and leadership skills while serving in AmeriCorps
- Commitment to advancing equity strategies in their communities
- Be a graduating AmeriCorps member by August 2018 or have less than three years post-AmeriCorps experience
- Seek meaningful participation as a lifelong Segal Fellow in the Eli J. & Phyllis N. Segal
Citizen Leadership Program
- Preference will be given to applicants residing in the Baltimore - Washington, DC region
- Members of underrepresented populations across AmeriCorps programs (African American, Latino, Native American, and other underrepresented populations) are highly encouraged to apply
Expectations and Benefits of Selected Awardees
Benefits and expectations of being selected for the AmeriCorps Alums Segal Leadership Award
Receive a $2,000 cash award to further your leadership and professional development (anticipated delivery in Q1 2019).
Personalized Development Plan
Develop an individualized professional development plan in 1:1 consultation with the Managing Director, Corps Members & Alums at Service Year Alliance.
Support Service Year Events
Help Service Year Alliance with special events or programming using your personal experience from your AmeriCorps service year
Be Active in the Segal Fellow Program
Be an active participant in activities of the Eli J. & Phyllis N. Segal Citizen Leadership Program at Brandeis University, a national network which aims to inspire, support, and enable new generations of leaders and promote citizen leadership
About the Eli J. & Phyllis N. Segal Citizen Leadership Program
Eli J. Segal has been described as the "father of AmeriCorps.” He served as the first CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service, and under his leadership AmeriCorps was created. To honor Eli, and build upon his legacy, AmeriCorps Alums gives the AmeriCorps Alums Segal Leadership Award to recognize the achievement and potential of an outstanding alum whose work, after completing his or her service in AmeriCorps, demonstrates entrepreneurial vision and leadership to make this a better world.
Being awarded the AmeriCorps Alums Segal Leadership Award automatically enrolls the awardee as a lifelong Segal Fellow in the selective Eli J. and Phyllis N. Segal Citizen Leadership Program. The Segal Program provides emerging leaders an opportunity to join a community of other like-minded changemakers. These leaders collaborate across sectors and topic areas to break down silos and create solutions in the pursuit of a more just and equitable world.
There are over 105 inspiring, diverse, and multi-sector fellows who are already leaders in their communities, as well as a network of over 600 Founders and program partners. In addition to AmeriCorps Alums, Fellows gain entry into the program through partnerships with diverse leaders from Brandeis, City Year, the Corporation for National and Community Service, and Service Year Alliance. For more information about the program, please visit segal.brandeis.edu.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit the following:
- Submit a resume and cover letter by September 14, 2018 to email@example.com.
In the cover letter, address:
- How AmeriCorps was a transformative experience for you.
- What being a lifelong Segal Fellow in the Segal Citizen Leadership Program would mean to you and how it would further your professional development.
- Why you believe that pursuing racial equity in the nonprofit sector is critical to making communities safer, stronger, and healthier.
- Provide contact information for two references, including at least one program staff or site supervisor from your AmeriCorps service year.
AmeriCorps Program Managers or Site Supervisors can also nominate an awardee. Please follow the same protocol as above, on behalf of your graduating service year corps member or recent alum. Please also ensure your nominee can meet all requirements.
Note: This award is not employment and does not entitle the awardee to receive Service Year Alliance employee benefits, such as pension, healthcare, or other related benefits received by full-time employees of Service Year Alliance.
Application Timeline for 2018-2019 AmeriCorps Alums Segal Leadership Award
- Sept 14th - Applications Due
- Sept 21st - Top candidates notified & interviews scheduled
- Sept 24-27th - Interviews conducted
- Sept 28th - Winners notified!
- October - Intake meeting with Service Year Alliance and Segal Program
- October 2018 - June, 2019 - Segal Program Leadership Development Curriculum and Cohort Meetings, held monthly
- January - June, 2019 - Engagement with Service Year Alliance events and activities
- 2019 & beyond - Ongoing Segal Program engagement as a lifelong Segal Fellow, including matching with a Segal coach, monthly convenings, Fellow Retreats (next in Fall 2019), and more