This position will be one of the front-line faces of our organization, greeting our neighbors as they enter the Career Resource Center seeking assistance; providing basic job search support, such as resume writing, on-line job searches and applications, interview preparation and transition to work coaching; assist in recruiting and training Career Center Volunteers; co-leading Work Ready classes for those interested in professional positions; and liaisoning with the homeless in our community, bringing critical information back to the Homeless Initiatives Task Force.
- Providing support to those seeking employment through resume development, accessing on-line job postings, preparing for interviews and transitioning to work positions.
- Teaching, along with community business volunteer mentors, the Work Ready program for those seeking professional level employment.
- Collaborating with the Executive Director and Neighbor Relations & Services Service Member to identify training needs for the volunteers and assist in the planning & delivery of that training.
- Establishing professional knowledge of each of our neighbors, building a climate of trust and welcome which will enable a deeper understanding of individual needs.
- Assisting the Executive Director in Risk Management
- Attend relevant community meetings, as determined by the Executive Director, in order to gain a greater understanding of the communities we serve and any information which will benefit the services provided by the AmeriCorps Service Member
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director, the Neighbor Relations & Services AmeriCorps Service Member and the Homeless Initiatives Task Force to identify homeless individuals in our communities to establish a method to regularly monitor those individuals for their needs and circumstances.
- Make regular reports about homeless individuals to the Homeless Initiatives Task Force.
Community Need Addressed
This AmeriCorps Service Member will work as the Workforce Development - Homeless Outreach Liaison in our Career Resource Center as part of the Drop-in Center volunteer team at our in-town Biddeford location. S/he will provide direct service to the neighbors served by our workforce development programs and assist the Executive Director in recruiting and training volunteers across our organization. S/he will also work with the Neighbor Relations & Services AmeriCorps Service Member to liaison with the homeless in our community, bringing feedback about needs and circumstances to the Homeless Initiatives Task Force.
The Seeds of Hope Neighborhood Center serves those living in poverty, isolation and/or despair in the Biddeford, Saco and Old Orchard Beach communities. The AmeriCorps position will provide critical benefits to our work through expanding our new initiatives in the workforce development collaborative we helped to create. S/he will provide direct service career support to our neighbors; will help increase our understanding of the needs of our neighbors; will help to recruit and train a larger and more diverse volunteer team, and collaborate with the Executive Director, either for the offering of new services or coordinating those services with outside providers.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Training
Training and resume building which will help AmeriCorps members after their service year(s) in seeking meaningful employment.
College Degree, GED/High School Diploma, Credential or Certification
SafeTALK Suicide Intervention peer supporter
Skilled in knowledge and serving those living in poverty
Work Ready program
Skills you will gain
Team work; presentation skills; volunteer recruitment, scheduling & training; time management; advocacy; report writing; strategic thinking/planning; cultural competency; career development skills
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment