This position will be one of the front-line faces of our organization, greeting our neighbors as they enter the Center seeking assistance; serving as part of our volunteer team bringing new ideas, recruiting & training; coordinating the day-to-day operations of the Center; and liaisoning with the homeless in our community, bringing critical information back to the Homeless Initiatives Task Force.
- Working with the volunteer team to prepare the Drop-In Center for opening and closing each day – preparing food offerings, insuring the Center is stocked and ready to receive our neighbors, receiving and acknowledging donations of clothing and household items, and insuring the Center is cleaned and restocked for the following day.
- Collaborating with the Executive Director and Workforce Development Service Member to identify needs for the volunteer team and assist in the recruitment and training of the team.
- Establishing professional knowledge of each of our neighbors, building a climate of trust and welcome which will enable a deeper understanding of individual needs.
- Based on feedback from our neighbors and our knowledge of the needs of those living in poverty, develop both passive and active educational support programs, such as monthly themed bulletin boards, resource notebooks, and guest presenters with specific areas of expertise.
- Assisting the Executive Director in Risk Management
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director, the Workforce Development AmeriCorps Service Member and the Homeless Initiatives Task Force to identify homeless individuals in our communities to establish a method to regularly monitor those individuals for their needs and circumstances.
- Make regular reports about homeless individuals to the Homeless Initiatives Task Force.
Community Need Addressed
This AmeriCorps Service Member will work as part of the Drop-in Center volunteer team at our in-town Biddeford location, providing direct service to the neighbors served by our various programs and assisting the Executive Director in recruiting and training volunteers across our organization. S/he will also work with the Executive Director and the Workforce Development AmeriCorps Service Member to liaison with the homeless in our community, bringing feedback about needs and circumstances to the Homeless Initiatives Task Force.
The Seeds of Hope Neighborhood Center serves those living in poverty, isolation and/or despair in the Biddeford, Saco and Old Orchard Beach communities. The AmeriCorps position will provide critical benefits to our work through expanding our understanding of the needs of our neighbors, helping to recruit and train a larger and more diverse volunteer team, and collaborating with the Executive Director, either for the offering of new services or coordinating those services with outside providers.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance
Training and resume building which will help AmeriCorps members after their service year(s) in seeking meaningful employment.
College Degree, GED/High School Diploma, Credential or Certification
SafeTALK Suicide Intervention peer supporter
Skilled in knowledge and serving those living in poverty
Skills you will gain
Team work; presentation skills; volunteer recruitment, scheduling & training; time management; advocacy; report writing; strategic thinking/planning; cultural competency;
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment