- Implement the SCI Youth Leadership Curriculum through a Youth Council program and/or another youth leadership development program. Some members may be initiating new youth leadership programs while others will enhance existing programs.
- Members will also seek to increase capacity for adult volunteers to support the success of young people served by the agency.
- Recruit and coordinate youth (other than core youth council) and adult volunteers.
- Increase participant civic leadership skills and commitment to future civic engagement.
- Provide additional direct service to youth at partner agencies that support youth development goals and have been approved by SCI, such as various programs, mentoring, or tutoring.
- Coordinate projects that engage families in school and community life such as resource fairs, family arts and cultural events, academic enrichment projects and family service days.
- Track progress of the teen leaders through the maintenance of individual civic leadership skills checklists and other assessment tools that document the practical skills they develop in areas such as meeting facilitation and event coordination.
- Collaborate with other SCI staff, volunteers and partners on other projects to promote civic engagement, with an emphasis on integrating youth into activities of SCI and community partners.
- Collaborate with other SCI Youth Programs Coordinators on joint efforts including occasional activities that bring together youth from various SCI locations.
Youth Leadership Coordinator Objectives:
- 1 corps member trains a core of 20+ youth
- Youth Leadership Training, Community Service Learning
- Youth Run Mini-Grant Cycle (funded by SCI)
- Each core youth group engages 100 youth in community service learning (CSL) and 200 youth in other civic activities
- 85% of core participants will express commitment to future civic participation
- 80% of core participants will demonstrate leadership skills
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Members receive a modest living allowance during their service
Post-service educational award
Health insurance coverage available
Excellent experience for future professional and educational opportunities.
Additional local benefits may be available.
Pre-service orientation and on-site training provided by SCI; ongoing training opportunities and workshops.
Matching institutions for the ed award:
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 110