- Implement the SCI Youth Leadership Curriculum through a Youth Council program and/or another youth leadership development program. Some members may be initiating new youth leadership programs while others will enhance existing programs.
- Members will also seek to increase capacity for adult volunteers to support the success of young people served by the agency.
- Recruit and coordinate youth (other than core youth council) and adult volunteers.
- Increase participant civic leadership skills and commitment to future civic engagement.
- Provide additional direct service to youth at partner agencies that support youth development goals and have been approved by SCI, such as various programs, mentoring, or tutoring.
- Coordinate projects that engage families in school and community life such as resource fairs, family arts and cultural events, academic enrichment projects and family service days.
- Track progress of the teen leaders through the maintenance of individual civic leadership skills checklists and other assessment tools that document the practical skills they develop in areas such as meeting facilitation and event coordination.
- Collaborate with other SCI staff, volunteers and partners on other projects to promote civic engagement, with an emphasis on integrating youth into activities of SCI and community partners.
- Collaborate with other SCI Youth Programs Coordinators on joint efforts including occasional activities that bring together youth from various SCI locations.
Youth Leadership Coordinator Objectives:
- 1 corps member trains a core of 20+ youth
- Youth Leadership Training, Community Service Learning
- Youth Run Mini-Grant Cycle (funded by SCI)
- Each core youth group engages 100 youth in community service learning (CSL) and 200 youth in other civic activities
- 85% of core participants will express commitment to future civic participation
- 80% of core participants will demonstrate leadership skills
The Milford Youth Center is a partner of Social Capital Inc and the SCI AmeriCorps program. At the Milford Youth Center, we are looking for 1 member to serve as a Youth Leadership Coordinator.
About Host Site:
The Milford Youth Center has become the focal point for the children of Milford. The Milford Youth Center after school program is open for youth ages 8-18, free of charge, from 2-6 pm Monday through Friday. We see over 200 youth every day, through this program and the many community and sports organizations that utilize the facility. The youth of Milford have come to depend on the Youth Center to provide them with the necessary activities and events that help them develop physically, mentally, socially and emotionally through their childhood years. The Center is also open before and after-school hours for rentals. Through youth-adult collaboration the MYC seeks to engage our community to promote healthy development for youth and families by reducing substance use, lowering risk factors and strengthening protective factors.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Members receive a modest living allowance during their service
Post-service educational award
Health insurance coverage available
Excellent experience for future professional and educational opportunities.
Additional local benefits may be available.
Pre-service orientation and on-site training provided by SCI; ongoing training opportunities and workshops.
Matching institutions for the ed award:
High School Graduate
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 110