- Implement the SCI Youth Leadership Curriculum through a Youth Council program and/or another youth leadership development program. Some members may be initiating new youth leadership programs while others will enhance existing programs.
- Members will also seek to increase capacity for adult volunteers to support the success of young people served by the agency.
- Recruit and coordinate youth (other than core youth council) and adult volunteers.
- Increase participant civic leadership skills and commitment to future civic engagement.
- Provide additional direct service to youth at partner agencies that support youth development goals and have been approved by SCI, such as various programs, mentoring, or tutoring.
- Coordinate projects that engage families in school and community life such as resource fairs, family arts and cultural events, academic enrichment projects and family service days.
- Track progress of the teen leaders through the maintenance of individual civic leadership skills checklists and other assessment tools that document the practical skills they develop in areas such as meeting facilitation and event coordination.
- Collaborate with other SCI staff, volunteers and partners on other projects to promote civic engagement, with an emphasis on integrating youth into activities of SCI and community partners.
- Collaborate with other SCI Youth Programs Coordinators on joint efforts including occasional activities that bring together youth from various SCI locations.
Youth Leadership Coordinator Objectives:
- 1 corps member trains a core of 20+ youth
- Youth Leadership Training, Community Service Learning
- Youth Run Mini-Grant Cycle (funded by SCI)
- Each core youth group engages 100 youth in community service learning (CSL) and 200 youth in other civic activities
- 85% of core participants will express commitment to future civic participation
- 80% of core participants will demonstrate leadership skills
All YLC members will lead a youth council of approximately 20 youth. Examples of other service activities include: recruiting mentors, tutors, and career exploration speakers; creating roles for parents to volunteer and engage in their child's educational development; planning community events such as career and resource fairs to connect families to resources; and engaging students in community service-learning activities.
Community Need Addressed
The Youth Leadership Coordinator (YLC) will increase the capacity of host sites to implement social capital building, youth engagement and community service-learning (CSL) as strategies to achieve high educational outcomes.
Increase volunteerism and leadership skills in youth, as well as build social capital - relationships and mentors - for youth.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Members receive a modest living allowance during their service
Post-service educational award
Health insurance coverage available
Excellent experience for future professional and educational opportunities.
Additional local benefits may be available.
Pre-service orientation and on-site training provided by SCI; ongoing training opportunities and workshops.
Matching institutions for the ed award:
Skills you will gain
All of our members leave with a strong understanding of social capital. We also encourage members to let us know what skills they hope to gain through service and we will do our best to accommodate that learning!
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment